This weeks lake of the week

beckman44
700 series

This weeks lake of the week

Post by beckman44 »

Dwight didn't see you post a lake, so I figured I better get this one. This week our job is to figure out this 600 acre natural lake. It is said to have a real good bass population. Lets get to it!! Bill.
Attachments
Mudhen Lake.pdf
(246.24 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Bassdawgie

Re: This weeks lake of the week

Post by Bassdawgie »

Sorry Bill, Did not expect to be served so quickly! The lake map is in my boat, resting quietly in a storage unit. I will retrieve it this week and send it to you, to be posted at your convenience. Thanks, Dwight
Last edited by Bassdawgie on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Bill, I am already licking my chops on this one. The water color will be on the clear side with the depths shown. Several classic spots with some lesser spots that could be good also. Waiting to hear from some others first before I chime in. Nice lake. John
brett
100 series

Post by brett »

Wow. The big structure coming off the east shore catches my eye first. The 2 points facing south off the end of it as well as the one coming off the north end. I would map all the way around the deep water on this feature to start.

Next, on the west side of the lake there looks to be a couple nice shoreline points on both the north shore and south shore related to the deep hole(s). I would pick the north shoreline first for inspection, then off to the south shore to determine what these points are made of.

Because I'm a sucker for small holes, I would then determine if the 17' hole in the north/north east area is a separate hole. The map says no but I'm guessing the map is wrong - and I would enjoy fishing the very nice shoreline point (north shore) sticking its nose into the deep water here. I would also check out the inside turn and the rest of the hole while I'm at it.

Finally I'm on to the east/south area of the lake along the road on the east shore to check things out. Could be productive.

Heck, in due time I'm basically fishing the whole lake cause I need to know. The 10' hole NE might even have potential.

Hopefully I've found good bass (maybe some big northern) on the first structure to keep me happy while I explore.
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

Brett; Great input; I would bet the inside turn on the east side would have bass stacked in their during pre spawn. Bill.
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Post by Jim Shell »

I actually fished this lake about 20 years ago...

When I 1st saw the map, my reaction was "what a good looking lake". When I got their I found very CLEAR water as John mentioned. Then most of the breaklines broke way too shallow. Back then I was still learning alot, and didn't spend alot of time looking for deeper breaks. I'm sure they are their, but they did not stick out.
I would only fish this lake now if I had too.. Too clear and breaks too shallow. I'd drive around and find another lake with better color...
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Thanks Jim for the info.
Now........what if this lake were your only lake within a 3 hour driving distance?
Since we all now know about the bad water color, my question here is NOW where do we spend our time?
Buck says: " you and I have to spend our time where we have the best chance to catch a fish".
I see 3-4 really good spots for the conditions. Of course weather will affect our choices too.
So lets say it is the 5th day after a front, high cirrus prevails dimming the suns rays, and a storm is predicted for tonight. What do you see and where do we spend our time?

Bill,
This is one of the best things to come along on this board in a long time. thanks for coming up with the idea. Knowledge is the key, and a true Spoonplugger shares.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Jim Shell
Site Admin

Post by Jim Shell »

Ok.... IF I had to fish this lake, I would not have to worry about bringing water to drink, I would just make sure I had a cup with me. It's 600 acres, and the "fishing" water is about 1/3 that size, so 200 acres to check out.I would spend my time looking for deeper features (20' to 40') and then do my best with checking various speed control.
“The day you become selfish in your fishing is the day your fishing growth stops” – Buck Perry
https://www.youtube.com/user/spnplg1
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Ok.......... Here is my 2 cents. The area just north of the 66ft hole and the 68ft hole would get a good checking. The bar on the north west end of the lake would be a good one for the bass. You might think that it is too far from deep water. Follow the 68 ft hole to the west and this bar is at the end of the hole. It points right to it. You go ahead and pass it up and I'll catch the fish off it. The bar in the south/west corner would be a good one also. It may appear too far from the deepest water but if you start looking at the 35 ft line, it continues all the way to 50 feet. The deep flat would indicate a wide weedline in this area and it would make a great place to fish for the post spawn fish which will hang around the weeds for a while before the summer pattern starts.Near the center and to the south, there are two bars which would get my attention. The one to the west should be the better of the two. Its features go all the way to the deepest water in the area. In the late fall, when the fish are deep, that 40 ft slot that runs through that area would be like picking cherries . If you follow that 40 ft slot to the east, at the end of the lake there is a bar with a nice inside turn on the north side. Again, it is located at the very end of a deeper hole. The bass will use it. The big bar that starts at the east/center and heads way out to the west has three areas to check on the south side. The 17ft hole is not secluded as the ten foot hole is. Neither would get my attention except the bar just north of the 17 ft hole and only during the late pre spawn when the fish move up into the weeds. The 4 ft hump might get a look but not for long. The inside weedline in the west end will be loaded right before the spawn. Same for the long bar coming off of the east end and especially the inside weedline on the south side of the bar. I might even get around to checking the inside weedline in the n/w corner area when it gets near to the spawn. Once the fish start to spawn, I no longer target them. If there were a good northern pike population or musky, this would be a good one for the late fall stuff from 30 to 50 feet deep. Hope you didnt pass up some of the spots I mentioned and if you do, thats just more for me. John
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

John; You are definitely the teacher, and we are the students. After reading your post I brought up the lake map again and looked over all the areas you picked out and felt very humbled by what I had missed. We never stop learning. Bill.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Bill, Actually, the teacher is gone now and the rest of us will always be his students. Really nice lake. Never shy away from a lake just because it is clear. Our guidelines take care of anything, deep, shallow, or inbetween. Learn to fish them all!!! John