New From Southern Michigan

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Hal Standish
700 series

New From Southern Michigan

Post by Hal Standish »

Happy New Year All!
Hal here. After fishing many years with my back to the "Home of the fish" And catching many juveniles and stragglers. I finally got turn around because of Buck Perry, and many of his students, Don Dickson Jim Duplex and John Bales, Jim Shell and many others. I have probable watch some 200 youtube videos made by the fine Spoonplugger community all over the country this winter.
Having trolled for many years but finally figure all i was just dragging baits and lures behind the boat and not really fishing the water. Not fishing deep enough or in may cases fast enough depending on weather and water conditions.
Late autumn of 2017 began using Bucks pronouncements concerning fish and his spoon plugs. In just a very short time began having some minor successes. (short videos below)
Studying the "green book" has brought to my attention the truth about schools of big fish and the habits they live by.
My fishing season here in S.W Michigan runs from about April 1st thru November 30th I live in a nice area with approximately 10 bodies of water within a 20 minute drive. I normally fish 5-7 days each week though usually no more than fours per trip. As April approaches the plan is to spend substantial time mapping my various lakes. Normally my fishing activity I rotate lakes daily, though this with mapping and interpretation as the goal I plan to spend time on each till I have a good map that lake before going to the next lake in the area I fish.
Looking forward to this new chapter of challenges and understanding. Really looking forward to learning how to troll the shallows properly.
Your Spoonplug Friend!
Hal Standish
Three Rivers Michigan

My first spoonplug fish a nice fat 35 inch pike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoE6wAw6fFQ

My first ever Muski
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2aM8T1q078
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
site admin
Site Admin

Re: New From Southern Michigan

Post by site admin »

Welcome Hal!

Good luck, and stick to the basics and you should do good!
Being in SW Mich, you are completely surrounded by spoonpluggers! Try to make some of the National outings. There are (2) held in Michigan (Muskegon and Jackson) and another in Indiana. Check back on the forum for updates on these outings. If you are not a member of National Spoonpluggers of America, try it for a year! http://nsoa.info/
Please keep us posted on your progress this summer!

Jim
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

Welcome Hal! Looks like you might be needing a bigger net soon :mrgreen: Look forward to hearing a lot more reports once things open up in the spring from up that way 8-)

-Brian
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Thanks for the comments guys. Reports will be forth coming once the water "softens" up a bit.
As a Catch and Release type. I finally broke down and secured a net worthy of the big boys. Should make for some better pics and vids for sure.
Thank-You ! Buck Perry
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Welcome Hal!
Nice fish BTW.
Catch up to a couple Spoonpluggers near you and go with them. Better still, take instruction from John or Chase. You will be a light year ahead if you do.
Again, welcome to the best place to learn about fish and fishing!
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Gobi
200 series

Post by Gobi »

Welcome from GR!
shibs - from GR, MI
[Beware of the guy with 1 rod and a 200 spoonplug]