New spoonplugger saying Hi

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
waterflogger_no_more
200 series

New spoonplugger saying Hi

Post by waterflogger_no_more »

Hello all,

New member waterflogger_no_more here... The name is mostly aspirational 8-) I am not an experienced spoonplugger BUT I'm just about through the entire set of Buck's instructional books. Almost done with book 7, just have 8 and 9 to go. I've learned quite a bit from them. It was great to find this spoonplugger club in my area, so I'm looking forward to attending the online meetings, and hooking up with any spoonpluggers who want to go fishing.

I have to say the interview with Don Dickson posted in July on the Breakline Club youtube channel was awesome. I had stumbled across some of Don's old videos on youtube before I found out about spoonplugging, and wondered who he was. The interviews were just great. Buck Perry's story is fascinating, and I'm looking forward to chatting with some of the long-time spoonpluggers in the group who can address one of my first questions, which is, why is this method, or approach, to fishing not more popular and practiced? I hadn't heard of it before. I am going on faith that it is as effective as it is claimed to be, in part because I am drawn to a scientific approach to fishing and Buck's method looks like something a scientist would come up with. Methodical, thorough, and based on much observation and experience. My own limited experience so far with it seems to prove Buck's ideas, although frankly I'm still learning to troll and keep from losing every spoonplug in my tackle box.

My wife tells me probably few people practice spoonplugging in its pure form because it is work, at least upfront, to learn it and get skilled at it. She's probably right. But still, it is a bit of a mystery how Buck Perry could come up with this, get some pretty good attention with it, and have it sort of die off in the fishing public aside from what Don Dickson says are a few spoonplugging clubs that are still around.

Anyway, I'm going to post a question in the general forum about fishing Cagles Mill Lake to try and get the best starting point. I'm going to spend the day there Wednesday and I've consulted the topo map and picked out some likely spots.

Harold
Team9nine
800 series

Re: New spoonplugger saying Hi

Post by Team9nine »

Welcome aboard, Harold! Glad to see you made it over here. Lots of great knowledge shared on these forum pages.

-Brian