Hello from Michigan

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
jimmyfins

Hello from Michigan

Post by jimmyfins »

Hi My name is Jim. I checked out some of the spoonplugging video's on youtube, very cool! I have a box of old spoon plug, maybe about 10 and thought this would be a great, and fun way to fish. Im always looking for something new to do on the water. I live by and fish lake St. Clair, and the Detroit/ St Clair river system. I would imagine this could be a great way to fish the deeper rivers and channels. I have a 18 foot lund tiller with a 75 hp 4 stroke that will troll down to mid 2 mph. Can this work for speed or is slower better? I'm looking forward to learn this technique and put it to use. Anybody from the lake St Clair area?

Jim
Kevin McClure

Re: Hello from Michigan

Post by Kevin McClure »

Hello Jim, Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you found us. I think your boat will work fine for Spoonplugging. It's on the longer side of boats for Spoonplugging but not excessive. Many of the best Spoonpluggers use boats of this length, so I'm sure you'll be OK. The tillar is a good thing. It will help your response times in manuevering your boat like when following a breakline, etc. Remote steering just isn't responsive enough.
What I would recommend you do, when you get a chance and funds permitting, is go to http://www.buckperry.com and purchase the "Green Book", Spoonplugging: Your Guide to Lunker Catches, by Mr. Buck Perry and eventually get his "Blue Book" Home Study Course. This will help educate you in Spoonplugging and speed up the learning process. There are also some excellent DVD'S that are out that could be helpful to you. Once again, welcome, and I hope to see you around the forum. Best regards. Kevin McClure
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Welcome Jimmyfins,
I will second all that Kevin just posted. Get that book and devour it.
The Spoonplug is just another lure if you and i dont know the proper way to use them.
It aint the lure(size,color,action). It is Depth and speed control, and this tool(spoonplug) will do the job when you have the knowledge on how,when, what, where to use it.
Buck Said: "Knowledge is the key to fishing success". Not some lure.
Welcome to the rest of your fishing life, and welcome to the board.

By the way, John Bales and Stephen Gilliam, just finished a video on Lake Erie that is a must watch from your area.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
jimmyfins

Post by jimmyfins »

Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading quit a bit of threads and will get started on the book as well. Heres some of the baits that I have to work with to start.

Jim
Attachments
P3310035.JPG
P3310035.JPG (147.71 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

looks like you got several of the larger sizes.
you will need the 500 sreies, 400's, 250's, and some 200 series to start with.
cant tell from the pic, but it looks like you have mostle 800's, 700's, and a couple 100's.
at least you dont have to buy them.
study the book and you will know why you will need the smaller lures.
Also, dont skip around in the book. read it from start to finish. If you jump around, it will screw you up.
fwiw
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
jimmyfins

Post by jimmyfins »

Will do Steve. Thanks
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

JIMMY

The Lund rig is perfect boat for trolling Lake St. Claire and Lake Erie. You already have half
the battle won with the tiller handle boat. [Most fishermanhave consosle steeing boats]

Like Steve and Kevin said, get the books and start reading and studying.

Also, there are Certified Spoonplugging Instructors that are available for on the water training. John Bales is probably the closest to you. The cost of the training is reasonable and it will get you started on the right path to "Knowledge and Satisfaction". Time and money well spent. See nsoa.info for more information on the CSI's.

Like Steve said, get the "Lake Erie" video from Spoonplugger Films. The video is full of Spoonplugging knowledge and was filmed on the waters you fish. Once you read/study the "Green Book" the video will be even more valuable to you.

Good Fishing,

TN Dave
jimmyfins

Post by jimmyfins »

I'm half way through the green book as of now. I did read it once before years ago. For years as a jig fisherman it's making sense. Basically in the spoonplugging thought I use jump style fishing alot walleye jigging plastics, (bass) tube bait fishing, and musky jigging big plastics like a bondy bait. It seems to make sense to me as well when I troll for Pike. I was finding the fish hitting the crankbait while bumping the edge of the break line off the channels. The first breakline from the deep water.
Here's an example of what I did.
Here's the results! http://youtu.be/FsYhh4_SOx4

Jim
Attachments
channel example.png
channel example.png (222.27 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

Jim, Nice Video. You looked really relaxed and caught some nice fish. Keep those videos coming.