Renewed spoonplugger

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Bill
250 series

Renewed spoonplugger

Post by Bill »

Hi, I'm Bill from Ontario, Canada, now in S. Texas. I got a gift subscription to Fishing Facts when I was 17 ( about 1977) and then bought Buck's book and the study course. I have been rereading it all lately since discovering this site and having some time off. Back then and still as far as I know, from reading fishing forums, it was still the dark ages of fishing knowledge wherever I fished. I have never seen anyone with a sonar, or a lake contour map or any idea that you just had to "know" the places to fish and what color lure was best. I did meet one guy who had spoonplugs and read FF. Most people are only good at shallow water.

The first time I used spoonplugs I had a no-name trolling reel and NO-BO, with a rod I modified myself, which I still have and without comparing it to yours , It works well for me. I was in one of the Kawartha lakes trying the tackle out and I remember being instantly impressed how fast I had to go to get the 250 to wiggle. Most people fish far too slow. I was bumping bottom ok and then hit a snag. Since It was my first time trolling I hadn't set the star drag and quickly got in trouble. Finally released the free-spool and got a huge backlash, turned the boat and sat there for a while untangling. I had experience with baitcasters before. After I fixed everything up I resumed trolling and soon hit what I believe was a big musky, turned me in the seat and cut the motor but he shook off. Felt like a log swinging on the end of the line. Later I got a Penn reel.

I have been working on a Lake of the week post about a muskie lake in Ontario, I fished it several times but it has a reputation as a tough lake, also contains pike , walleye, SM, but in reading the study guide I noted something Buck said about looking for structure when lakes are drawn down and having no recognizable structure when full; structures are all deep. Well this is the case in this lake, the map basically shows no structure shallower than 25 ft. Of course the map is not 100%, I found a saddle to an island that didn't show. Lake goes to 46-50 feet. Also it is a semi clear lake with weeds to 9 or 10 ft., partially spring fed. I wonder if the lake depth increased due to something seismic altering the outflow area ?
The other lakes I fished I found it difficult to troll shallow using a 400 or smaller, too many docks, beaches, weeds and large rocks.

I'll get the post and map photos up on Monday.
Kevin McClure

Re: Renewed spoonplugger

Post by Kevin McClure »

Hello Bill, Glad you found us. John Bales has 3 DVD packages that he put out in around 2011 in case you might be interested. Glad to meet you and looking forward to seeing you around the forum. Kevin
BV Rives

Post by BV Rives »

Welcome Bill, Are you fishing in S-Tex.? Are you a snowbird? I was in Goose Bay in 1957. again welcome Bob.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Bill - welcome to the forum. Where are you at in S Texas? I'm in Brenham and thinking about taking the plunge again.