Spoonplugger: One Year Anniversary

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Kevin McClure

Spoonplugger: One Year Anniversary

Post by Kevin McClure »

I spotted this Meet and Greet and thought I should introduce myself. I learned about Spoonplugging by chance. I was doing a search on Google for structure fishing and found a link at Fish-N-Maps that went into some depth about structure. Most of the stuff I had read so far was piece meal at best. Here I was reading this pdf and it was talking about some man named Buck Perry and all these things I had heard of before,(And hadn't heard of) but being put in a context that I could understand. All the pro's talk about some of this stuff individually, but I had never seen it put together as a whole. It all kinda clicked, it made sense. I was like most fisherman, looking for that magic lure, looking for that fishy looking log, that place where a Bass would hang out, looking at the shoreline and things I could see above the water. I had no idea what a structure that would produce fish would look like.
In May 2012 I threw out my sciatic nerve and while I was still able to fish, I had to postpone a trip back to the midwest to see my Dad and to train with some Certified Spoonplugging Instructors. It still hasn't healed properly but I'm hoping to to start some training with some instructors this spring. In the mean time I will keep practising on my own. I don't have a proper boat for Spoonplugging, but I'll do the best I can with the one that I have until I can save up enough for another boat.
Last edited by Kevin McClure on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Spoonplugger: One Year Anniversary

Post by Steve Craig »

Welcome Kevin, and it is good to know a new Spoonplugger is at least somewhat near to me.
Read the Green Book, get the Home Study Course and devourer them.

If you ever get to the Phoenix area, let me know and we can wet a line together.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

Thanks Steve. There aren't many of us out west. I will definately look you up the next time I'm in Phoenix. Kevin
brett
100 series

Post by brett »

Welcome Kevin! When I began studying the Green Book and asking questions I had more than a few Spoonpluggers tell me to stick with it and the fishing will get better and better. They were right. Now it takes focus and effort - nothing in life comes easy - but if you put the proper time the fishing will get easier and easier and you will start running into more and more fish. So on the days when the fishing seems tough or the guidelines seem difficult to piece together - STICK WITH IT - we still learn on the tough days. Use the forum, materials, and other Spoonpluggers to work through your roadblocks and you will eventually be catching more fish on any given lake on any given day than anyone else on the water.
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

Thanks for those words of encouragement, Brett. One of the things I've learned from all the study materials is that if the fish aren't moving and/or your not catching them, to start mapping another structure and then keep checking/rechecking the structures you have already mapped. It's good practice and can turn an unproductive day into a productive one.