Introduction

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Consigliere

Introduction

Post by Consigliere »

Hi everyone. Thought I would introduce myself as I am new to the board.

I've been a pretty avid fisherman for last 6 or 7 years or so with very mixed success. I live in southern Ontario at the point where Lake Ontario joins the St. Lawrence River. I like to fish the big waters because of the chances for trophy sized fish. However, beyond spring time my fishing success has been pretty weak. I have access to many smaller natural lakes north of where I live and am usually more successful here but have always been drawn back to the big waters for the big girls! I love to fish for northerns. muskie, trout and salmon. On another forum about a month ago, I saw a post by Jerry Borst and in his signature he had "Spoonplugger Instructor". As spoons are one of my favourite presentations to use, I hopped onto Google, and boy am I glad I did. I had never heard of spoonplugging before but after reading a bit about it I ordered the green book and home study guide immediately. I have been pouring through them ever since. Unfortunately, I have not had a lot of time on the water since getting them to practice but of what limited time I have had my results have already improved significantly. I feel like I am finally learning what to look for when fishing and although huge numbers of fish have not been on the end of the line I at least can plan for success. I can't believe how many quotes from the green book described my fishing trips before "I just like to be out on a nice day" etc. I've enjoyed reading the forum and decided I had to join so I could try and contribute in some way.

In terms of fishing, I have a 17ft custom (ie no idea make or model) aluminum boat that I stripped and rebuilt to be a fishing machine with a 25HP engine. It is a bit big for typical spoonplugging but the waters I fish are large and can be very rough. It actually won't be long until I upgrade to something larger for safety reasons. There are many days I simply can't fish because of time constraints and not a large enough boat to make the fishing safe or enjoyable. My first order of spoon plugs is on its way now. I can't wait to try them out. I have a feeling many of my existing lures will find there way to a garage sale shortly.

Looking forward to continuing to learn and hopefully contribute to the forum. A great source of info and sharing here!
charlie myers

Re: Introduction

Post by charlie myers »

Welcome Consigliere,

Congrats on getting introduced to spoonplugging. Your study material puchases were a very wise choice. You didn't try to take shortcuts, which is good, because there aren't any. Another wise purchase would be to hire a certified spoonplugging instructor for a day. This will greatly increase your understanding.

Charlie
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Benvenuto a Spoonplugging foro Consigliere.
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

Haha thanks. Actually not Italian...Sil from Sopranos is the inspiration for the name.
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

Welcome Consigliere,

Good to see you here! So let's hear what you've been doing, how's it going?

There's some really good and knowledgable fishermen that hang around here all willing to help in any way they can, I'd try to get that old man Bales talking, hes a one stop shop! :mrgreen: