Greetings

Introduce yourself to our online Spoonplugging community
Demoncleaner

Greetings

Post by Demoncleaner »

Hello to everyone on the spoonplugger forum. My name is Jason, and I live in southern Wisconsin. I consider myself a contour or wire-line troller, I have a lot to learn before I consider myself a spoonplugger. I actually use similar tactics, and equipment. I use Antique 109M reels 30 lb seven strand trolling wire, but up until recently I used predominately bomber 26a's, and musky mania ernie's and little ernie's for lures. The bombers and littles ernie's will run to about 20', and I use the big ernie's to troll 30' with more wire out. For about the last four weeks I have been using the 700 series spoonplug (after my fishing buddy schooled me one day trolling side by side) I really like it, I've even used that size to troll 28-30'. On August 1st after dinner I went out for just a short troll (I live on a lake), tried 20-22' not a strike, went to 28-30', within 5 minutes landed a 27" walleye, 20 minutes later a 36" pike. Unfortunately the spoonplug hooked her gills, so she had to come home with me, don't really like to keep anything that big but she wouldn't have survived. I just love contour trolling, there is nothing like a strike at 4-5 mph! I am at 110 pike on the year with a lot of fishing to go. I am going to get John's video, and learn as much as I can from the forum, Wish I would have known about the Mendota trip that would have been cool to meet some other contour trollers.
Attachments
IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0302.jpg (69.28 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
John Bales
JB2

Re: Greetings

Post by John Bales »

Jason, My best advise to you if you havnt already done it is to study either the green book or the 9 volume home study series. It will help you understand the whole ball of wax. You will be more comfortable knowing what makes a fish tick and exactly what you must do to catch him. Good luck. John Bales
Demoncleaner

Post by Demoncleaner »

John,

Yep, you're right. One of my friends has the book, and I think I am finally going to read it. I am pretty much self taught, and I think I do okay, but hopefully I can really increase my catch by applying Buck's methods. I really wish the lake I live on wasn't so clear......it has weeds on the bottom in 30'! I can't really let the spoonplug hit the bottom at all, it gets fouled right away.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Jason, Spoonpluggers have been taught to fish the lakes with water color. Yes it makes catching fish much easier but like you, living on a lake, you have to fish it . I personally love the deep clear lakes. Your interpretation of the deep features will be the key and lots of time presenting lures in and around the deeper sections but so what. It takes a little time and much of your time will be spent there but you can bet that not many have bothered the larger species in most all clear lakes. The best time will be after the thermocline is gone. The best fishing of the year in my area is from the first of November till ice up. The only problem is that it is not long lasting. Big northerns , walleye and musky all become easy for a while and the bass can be caught in large numbers. You hang around these spoonpluggers and you can get all the answers you want. Try that somewhere else and see what you get. Take Care John
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Adding a bit to what John said, get the "Green BooK", otherwise known as "Spoonplugging" "Your Guide to Lunker Catches".
The book and the "Home Study Course" are available from BucksBaits.com.; and Buck's Baits is running a special on the book and the Home Study course.

Read the "Green Book" and then go back and study it (You need your own copy so that you can underline all of the parts that are particulary important to you). Once you have studied the "Green Book" you will have a good concept of Spoonplugging. Then start the "Home Study Course" to study each individual aspect of Spoonplugging. There is a world of fishing knowledge in both publications.

Good Fising,

TN Dave
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Jason,
First of all, welcome aboard. You've come to the right place.

I agree with TN Dave, but would add: read the book through to get an overall idea of the concepts and methods, STUDY the book a second time through and take notes of the important things for later review, STUDY the book a third time through and take notes again. Then compare your first set of notes with your second set of notes. You'll be surprised how much you missed in the first set of notes. By that time, you should be pretty familiar with the BOOK LEARNING. Then you go out and put it into practice on the water.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

What Dave and James said!!!!

I will also add.......
Research has shown than when the average person reads a book, or watches a video, they only retain 10% of what they read/watch the first time through.
With the second reading, you usually get about 25-30% more.
It was found that after 6 readings or watchings, you then would retain a little over 90% .

This is why it is important to STUDY the material.

Oh and welcome to the board!
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Steve, except with us old guys. We never past the 10% :lol:
3LBBASS2013

Post by 3LBBASS2013 »

Hello,
My name is Gerald Martin. I live in Milwaukee, WI. I purchased both of the items - the "SPOONPLUGGING: book and the Home Study Course back in the early 90's.

I am in the process of rereading and studying them again. They contain a lot of facts regarding fishing via the "SPOONPLUGGING" method.

Gerald Martin
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

Hello Gerald, I noticed you joined back on October 12, 2013. Welcome to the forum. Keep studying the material and when funds allow, get some of the Spoonplugging videos. It will definitely speed up the learning process. Best regards. Kevin
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Jason and Gerald,
Welcome to you both. Glad to see you found the source; Buck.
I just joined the forum this year, but I had done a bit of Spoonplugging in the past. I purchased the Green Book, the Home Study Course, and some videos from Buck and Don Dickson back in the late 80's. I have read and studied the material and still have so much more to learn. I took a long break from fishing and am now back in it full throttle. I picked up all of John Bales videos and have watched them several times. Great info.
The one thing I can say is you have to study and then be disciplined in your on the water application. The hands on portion is where the rubber meets the road. Don't fall into old habits or get discouraged. I struggled (and still do), but had more success fishing this year than ever before. Thank you Buck.
My next goal is to get out next year with one of the Certified Spoonplug Instructors. I know I a ton of work ahead of me, but it has been a blast.
By the way, I live in New Berlin, WI and would gladly hook up with either of you next year to compare notes.
The guys in this group are the best and are always willing to help. Fran, John, Brett, Jim, et. al. are awesome. READ their stuff too (news letters).

Dennis