Side scan depth finders

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
jwt
800 series

Re: Side scan depth finders

Post by jwt »

You can also put a zip-lock bag over the unit.
spnplgr

Post by spnplgr »

JWT, did you ever try to look through a clear plastic bag during a heavy rain?

I know of one guy who got desperate when it started to rain. He had forgotten to bring any kind of material to protect his "water resistant" unit, so he improvised by putting a bread wrapper over the unit. It kept the moisture out quite well, but the only thing he could see where the screen was supposed to be were the words "whole wheat".

Good fishing.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

You know Spnplgr, I was wondering what I could do to protect my water resistance units. I never thought about that. What an awesome idea!
Fran Myers
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

If the guy wouldnt have eaten the last piece of bread, he could have just sat it on top of his unit and it would have soaked up all the water. Never eat your last piece of bread. A good lesson. John
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

I think the issue was the big multi colored characters.
Heck maybe we should just mount our units in big buckets of rice.
Fran Myers
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Fran, Nope, cant do that!!!!!!!!! The rice would swell and crush our units. John
spnplgr

Post by spnplgr »

Fran, I wish I had thought of the idea of the upside down battery box, but it was actually Ray Norman who came up with the idea. I have asked Ray to think about how to solve your weed problem in Lake Erie. Don't laugh! This guy just might come up with a solution. We have already discussed a couple of ideas.

Good fishing
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Just dam off Lake St. Clair cause that's where most of the weeds that get in our way come from.
Fran Myers
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

John Bales wrote:Fran, Nope, cant do that!!!!!!!!! The rice would swell and crush our units. John
I said that because when I was repairing computers this past week, I found someone who thought they were drying there wet cell phone in a dish of rice. I don't have any idea if it works. Other than that rice does absorb water.
Fran Myers
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

If the guy wouldnt have eaten the last piece of bread, he could have just sat it on top of his unit and it would have soaked up all the water. Never eat your last piece of bread. A good lesson. John

John, When conditions are really bad and your fishing the clear or cypress waters, you need every last slice of bread you have for your chum line! Lesson two!

Put your hat on top your Depthfinder, whats more important, your head will dry and you can still read the screen! Lesson three!
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

The simplest solution is to simply GOLF on the days forecasting rain.

No rice and bread bag worries at all.
Phil
SlParker

Post by SlParker »

Guys, I recently purchased a Lowrance HDS unit (haven't had alot of problems, spent 2 hours to set it up but after that I like it) and a Vexilar flasher which I like also........ but some good times spoonplugging for me have been the days when I was on the water without any electronics....... all by myself with my old dog......

Steve
Gary Schiffner

Post by Gary Schiffner »

Hey Steve, How you been?

Are you saying your dog is a heck of a fisherman, does he smell them and go on point?

Seriously, I know what you mean. I have had electrical problems before and fretted
about not having a depth finder. I got along just find, makes you think differently for sure!
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

I had a yellow lab for 14 years and took him fishing on our lake all the time. His first time out he got excited when I was fighting a fish and into the lake he went. That was the last time that he went all the way into the lake. I used to take large buzz baits and cut the hooks off and he would chase it till I was tired of throwing it. If I let it go to the bottom, he would go under the water and take it off the bottom. He knew my every move. All I needed to do is say"Lets go fishing and he was at the door." I miss that dog. Nothing wrong with a good old sothern boy. My first boat was a jon boat that I would never get in today. I've had about every depth finder that was ever made over the years. Went through I dont know how many hummingbird flashers. Kenny Hyde gave me a green box with transducer and all paper work that looks like it has never been used. Those were the good old days. Would not trade those days for anything. John PS..... My second boat was a 14 ft v bottom with a 5 1/2 hp johnson. It wouldnt plain out so I put a big rock in the front. I'd make a good hillbilly. dont you think? :)
spnplgrkenny

Post by spnplgrkenny »

Yes you would John. I knew there was something I liked about you, HA HA. Your just a good ole country boy that just happens to be one of the best fisherman I have ever seen.

KENNY