Lets try another

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Steve Craig
JB2

Lets try another

Post by Steve Craig »

Here is one of those big washes that come from the heights and over time dump sand, gravel, and "dirt" into the lake below.
This one is BIG. 40 yards wide, and the end of the bar that was created goes over half way across the lake before droping into the Main Lake Channel.
It had to take 100's of years to form this thing.

Question: Where is the contact point and how would you fish it?

I apologize for the light print. My scanner is low on ink.

Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
John Bales
JB2

Re: Lets try another

Post by John Bales »

From your depths and contours, its got to be on the right hand side of the cut. Nice finger, sharpest drop to the deepest water. The center of the cut is too flat, you show a nice little finger at 40 but too far from the deepest water and appears flat. I am sure you can visually see this thing by looking at the shoreline. Cool stuff. John
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

Ditto John. Pretty sure we're looking at the same spot. Even if this wasn't the contact point, I'd never drive by this spot without fishing it because it looks so "right" to me :mrgreen:

BroncoWashApache.jpg
BroncoWashApache.jpg (56.27 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

It is a very good spot! Several bass caught here in the last few years.
The biggest fish I have ever caught,( in this lake), came off that spot.
She would have went over the 10 pound mark, I have no doubt. But I lost her right at the boat.
To say I wanted to cry is an understatement.
But you go forward.
My son that passed away took a 7.5 pounder off that spot.

60 veiws on this thread, and only 2 replies. Makes a guy wonder if he is just spinning his wheels posting this stuff? These are posted to try to help, nothing more.
Thank you John and Brian.
I always learn from many of your posts.
Steve
D-wayne
200 series

Post by D-wayne »

Purple is where I would us Side Imaging to see if anything is there.
The green purple cross is where I would us tubes jigs or wackey worm to see if any big girls are hiding in rock cuts.
The single green strip would be worth a look.
Purple green areas
Purple green areas
20180131_071044.jpg (75.94 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
Remember to always practice Angling CPR
CATCH, PICTURE and RELEASE 8-)
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Steve, Making an attempt to share knowledge is never a waste of time. Mr. Perry spent a lifetime trying to get the mass of fishermen to listen and their response was always less than sub par. It is the few like us that listened and believed that kept him going.
Let me make a point about side scanning and electronics. When I map a structure for the first time, my eyes are glued to one thing and that's a flasher. My guidelines were set up for me by Buck Perry. My first goal is to find the first major breakline and follow that around the bar or whatever feature it may be. The process is to stay close to that breakline and it will show me any fingers and generally any sharper breaks that may be there. At this point in time, markers can be thrown at any of these changes with great accuracy. Many times, one pass is all that is needed for a starting point to start fishing. Any important breaks that may exist will be found while presenting lures. In a lake like this, you may have to check several breaklines at different depths and each of them will give you a different shape. Before you can really know any structure, you need to map it and then fish it. It is the best way to gain fishing knowledge. The side scan and the other great features on the new depth finders is fantastic and used properly can surely print a better picture and will end up making you better at knowing what is down there. The bad thing about making your own map is when you are done, your still fishing a map and depending on the gps to put you right on it. Our way of mapping is exact and we do not shortcut the process. When we are done mapping, before we ever pull our markers, we need to take shoreline sightings for trolling passes and anchoring positions and write down our findings. These efforts give us knowledge for life.
The efforts I just spoke about is the main reason we have so few spoonpluggers. Its just too much work. You should have talked about the lures you caught the fish on and the colors. Your post would have gotten much more attention. John
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

John
Thanks for your comments.
I agree with you 100%.
I too use my Flasher for all my mapping. As good as the new Finders are, they simply do not compare to what a Flasher will show about the breaklines and following one.
Downscan is wonderful for showing the breakline, but forget it for trying to follow a breakline.

""You should have talked about the lures you caught the fish on and the colors. Your post would have gotten much more attention. John""

LOL!!! There is only one color for a Spoonplug......Don Nichols Yellow! White with a Red Head for a JB!!!
Pumpkin for a Jig. and Only Purple for a Plastic worm!!!! And only Shad for a KVD10+!!!!!
Lip ripper
200 series

Post by Lip ripper »

WHERE TALKING MAPPING AND INTERPRETATION AND LEARNING HERE'S MY 2 CENTS BUCK HAS STATED EVERY FISHERMAN NEEDS A MAP EITHER ON PAPER OR IN HIS HEAD .I MUST ADMIT I DONT DO GOOD AT CREATING A PAPER MAP AND I MUST START DOING THIS TO BECOME A BETTER SPOONPLUGGER .BUT I DO HAVE THE MENTAL PICTURE OF THE STRUCTURE YOU CAN BE QUIT AMAZED HOW DETAILED YOUR MENTAL PICTURE CAN BE ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU FISHED IT TROLLED IT JIGGED IT BUCK ALSO SAID YOU MUST DRAIN THE WATER FROM THE LAKE METALLY TO SEE THE BOTTOM THIS IS WHAT THE FISH SEE THIS IS WHAT YOU MUST SEE. IN MY OPINION METAL MAPS ARE A VERY IMPORTANT PROCESS OF SPOONPLUGGING ALSO. LIP RIPPER
Sonny
200 series

Post by Sonny »

Thanks for posting Steve! I don't always reply, but do always read your posts along with everyone else's.

SemperFi
Sonny
Hal Standish
700 series

Post by Hal Standish »

Thanks Steve!
Read every post on this forum! Watched every you tube video i can find. The study of spoon plugging has become an obsession!
The challenge has been to read the Green book and this forum and then put the information into practice. The water here is very hard and white. 8 degrees above zero here this morning. I can't wait to start mapping. Started spoonplugging at during the last month of fishing year here in Michigan.
late March or early April is the target dates for soft water fishing to begin. With contour trolling the shallows and mapping being my starting point.
Please keep posting the structure diagrams and quiz questions.
Thank-you

Hal
Thank-You ! Buck Perry