new technology

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
John Bales
JB2

new technology

Post by John Bales »

I was watching the Next Bite tv show this morning and they were fishing wing dams on the Mississippi in the summer casting crankbaits. They ran the new Humminbird side scan to find the wing dam which also showed where the wing dam was on the map of the GPS. They did the side scan thing, found the wing dam, put a way point on the end and used the talon down thing or the trolling motor anchor mode to hold the boat while they cast the wing dam. I am wondering with the side scan units , are there any so called hot spots that havnt been found? We wonder why there aren't more spoonpluggers out there. I remember when the way points first came along. I was fishing a spot 3 miles out into lake Erie when a guy came by and started going around me(not far away), and I could hear him putting in way points. It is that easy to steal a spot if you have the balls to get close enough and come back later and see what is there.
David Erdley asked Babe Winkleman a long time ago about spoonplugging and why aren't there more of us. He told David that with all the new electronics and with a little understanding of structure, you can catch the fish any way you want. Al Linder once held up an Alabama rig and a spoonplugging rod and asked what do these have in common? His answer was that both are boring.
Most all fishermen fish shallower than ten feet, but there are others that completely understand basic fish movements and what the bass do seasonally and know what to do to catch them. There are plenty of methods besides trolling a spoonplug that will catch a fish. You add the fancy depth finders to that mix and put it in the hands of a fisherman that has lots of time to scan his fishing waters and you have a guy that has a good chance of catching a bunch of fish. I doubt that there is any water left in Lake Chicamauga that hasn't been looked at with the side imaging. There are a bunch of smart fishermen on that body of water and many others.
What we do does not appeal to the mass of fishermen. No fancy boats or patches. Let's face it, fishing is a business with thousands of salesmen out there on tv selling boats and all the equipment that goes with it. There are now colleges competing against each other and a couple will get an invite to the Bassmaster Classic, a young fishermans dream .
What do you and I get by learning how to troll the shallows, the deep and the inbetween ? We get the knowledge that will carry us through for the rest of our lives. Having this knowledge really enhances the use of the new depth finders. I agree that the guy who never gets away from the bank will never have a chance to get better but on some days that the fish do not move, the guys who make the most casts and catches the most stragglers will be the man for that day.
Zona just had a show on his home lake where he spent lots of time side scanning the deeper waters and put way points on all the deep breaks. During the time of year when the fish are deep and using those breaks he did a show and made it look easy. You and I would understand all of those where when what why and how's from our trolling knowledge and would know where to concentrate our efforts for that time of year and would have made a catch also. The average joe with the new depth meters can spend some time looking at the deep water, put way points on the breaks and catch those same fish without any spoonplugging knowledge. Of course all of the credit would go to the depth finders and the lures that caught the fish. Fishermen will go out and buy these things and this is how the fishing industry works. We cannot compete with these guys.
For me, not knowing all of the why's about fishing would not be a good feeling. It is not possible to know everything but for me, spoonplugging teaches the understanding of what fish do and what you and I need to do to put him in the boat. That's pretty important to know and it is a good feeling to have that knowledge. The rest have no guidelines but it is obvious that many are already satisfied with their catches and like their lifestyle and have no intentions to change.
I am so impressed with the new depth finders out there these days. Yes they are salty but for a spoonplugger that is already pretty good, to see these breaks that are down there surely shortens the time to figure things out. Any time I can shorten the time that it takes to get into the fish, I am all for it.
I wouldn't have the time to sit down and write these thoughts if there was open water. The older I get, the more winter sucks. John
Team9nine
800 series

Re: new technology

Post by Team9nine »

John,

Thank God for winter, because I sure enjoy reading your thoughts when you have the time to sit down and make these type of posts :mrgreen:

You've pretty much nailed it in my eyes. Buck said the original Spoonpluggers were the best, because they had to be. They didn't have the aids available to them to figure all this stuff out, so they did it the long way through sheer desire, effort and perseverance. Technology has made today's fisherman extremely lazy. Combine that with the young generation being raised in a digital age, where information access is immediate or else it's ignored, and you have the perfect storm for the death of Spoonplugging.

Going through the process, learning the guidelines, starting in the shallows and then moving to the deeper water, both trolling and casting, lets you piece everything together in your head. You understand the where, why, what, how, etc. as you mentioned. Now days, there is no such thing thanks to technology, media and marketing.

It's like dumping a puzzle out on the table. Every piece of the puzzle to make the complete picture is on the table, but none of it is put together. The bank beaters are the guys who can only figure out the picture frame, because all the pieces with flat edges they know have to go together sooner or later. A lot of hit and miss.

Others get the edges along with some clumps of pieces in the center that go together because of something obvious in the picture. They've seen the finished picture on the box, so even though the puzzle isn't completed, they've put enough pieces together in clumps here and there to feel like they're satisfied with it, but they haven't connected every piece of the puzzle and fully solved the problem. They don't have the patience. Like John said though, this is good enough for most of them because they have success just often enough to make them think they know what's fully going on. In reality, they don't.

For the most part, only Spoonpluggers have put all the little individual "generic" pieces of the puzzle together, the pieces that combine all the clumps with each other and the frame. They understand all species, during all seasons, on all the available structure situations. It's a lost art, for sure.

I like technology...to a degree. I have the down imaging, side-imaging, GPS, hi-def mapping, spot lock, etc. on my boat. They are absolutely wonderful aids for the Spoonplugger who started and learned first without them. If there is a shortcut, this is it. But it's only a shortcut if you understand Spoonplugging basics first. Buck said Spoonplugging would make all the lures in your tacklebox more valuable and important because you'd finally understand their place (their limitations) in your fishing with that knowledge. Same goes for the other tools/aids (like electronics). Without that knowledge, technology isn't a shortcut. It will make you lazy and overconfident.

The sad part is no matter how hard we try, I don't think we can change any of what's happening. It's a generational thing. There's simply not enough of us left, and too many them. All we can do now is enjoy the fruits of our efforts while out on the water, and share it with those who have a similar discipline and mentality.

By the way Spoonpluggers, what's the best color soft plastic? And what did you get in this months "Lucky" tackle pack?

It is what it is...

-Brian
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Best color.............. Green pumpkin............ I didn't get my tackle pack. They must have forgotten me. Color.............. I know of no color that will keep you from catching a fish if you first consider depth and speed. I do like green pumpkin. If you and I are fishing and you are killing me and everything is equal as far as I can figure out, you had better have an extra one. I*'m not completely stupid.
Brian, I also enjoy reading your reply's. John
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

""You've pretty much nailed it in my eyes. Buck said the original Spoonpluggers were the best, because they had to be. They didn't have the aids available to them to figure all this stuff out, so they did it the long way through sheer desire, effort and perseverance. Technology has made today's fisherman extremely lazy. Combine that with the young generation being raised in a digital age, where information access is immediate or else it's ignored, and you have the perfect storm for the death of Spoonplugging.""

Brian,
This statement is right on!

John,
We are the ones blessed to have lived in the Golden Era of fishing. I believe it was Spence Petros that called it the Golden Era.
We are the ones that had the "open minds" to not only hear what Buck had to say, but to actually believe what he said and then to have the where-with-all to put our egos aside and ask him to teach us!
Buck WAS the main guy in this Golden Era, as things were being developed at high speed in knowledge, technology, information, new concepts,better equipment, and on and on.
But it was Buck Perry that understood that the Knowledge part was what was the most important.
All the rest was just aids, and fluff.......AT THAT TIME!

Now at this time, those aids have gotten so much better, and technology so much better, that the knowledge part is disappearing......along with Spoonplugging.
This is so unfortunate.
I remember asking Terry O'Malley at one of the Winter Seminars what was gong to happen to Spoonplugging? I was taken aback by his answer.
He said straight up, that once He, Vic, Jeri were gone, that in his opinion, we would slowly disappear and be overrun by all the other items that you and Brian just listed above. Today, we are watching it happen before our very eyes.

Now as far as the new depth finders go.
I love them! Yes, I will say it up front, I love them. I was able to get a Lowrance Touch 12 from a guy in Phoenix a few years ago for a HUGE savings on price. One of the best moves I ever made. BUT...the main reason I wanted it was not what you would think. I wanted it because it was large enough for me to read easily!!!!
Older eyes!
But while in Canada, in 2016, I got to see a Humminbird unit that Chris Angsten had that he was using to map some structures. Auto Chart Live.
Wow! What a great piece of good technology to come along.
I looked at my hand made maps of a hump i had mapped and compared it to his mapping of that same hump, and was simply blown away! they were "almost" identical. I say almost in that, his was far better than mine! It actually showed more detail! Details that would allow me to go back there this past year and catch some of the biggest smallmouth i had every caught.
Now, would I have eventually found that tiny feature where I caught all those fish using my normal mapping? I have to believe so. But my question now is ....how long would it have taken me without having my new Humminbird Helix 9 with Auto chart Live? I only have so much time on one of these trips. How long? Maybe never?
10 minutes of running the Auto Chart Live and I had that spot.

Just yesterday, I ran this thing on a couple dozen structures here on Apache Lake. The detail is simply incredible. And the time it took was only just a few hours compared to the time it took to initially map them.
BUT...and this is a big BUT! I still had to take my old Flasher over them to "see" the breaklines better. Yes, they were there on the Auto chart, but I guess i just HAD to run my Flasher over them to confirm the map had them in the right place.

As far as the side scan goes, I can take it or leave it. I still prefer the old Sonar and my flasher for most of my fishing. But for mapping, give me that Side Scan Auto Chart Live.

These are just my thoughts on this new stuff. If we know HOW to apply this new stiff to our Spoonplugging knowledge, then it is a good thing in my humble opinion.
If one is using it to depend on to just catch fish, then one will lose out on the "why" part of knowledge of what makes a fish tick and how and why we caught him.
Sadly, many of todays fishermen, will never get to understand what you and I know for a fact!
FWIW
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

Incredibly, but not surprisingly, Buck had thought of and predicted much of this, and shared his thoughts on the matter. A little eerie reading his words now almost 50 years after he wrote them, but at the same time, there's also a calming reassurance knowing he was fine with whatever came to pass.

Buck Perry End.jpg
Buck Perry End.jpg (246.62 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

All i can say is.....what a man he was!
And AMEN!
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

Just found this timely article on the Bassmaster website that's worth a read. I'm a bit of a fishing history buff, and I thought this article by Elite Pro David Walker covers the technology timeline well.

https://www.bassmaster.com/david-walker ... at-screens

Walker.JPG
Walker.JPG (131.7 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

John, you really bring up a great topic, technology.

I am a huge fan of it. I have the good stuff; Humminbird Helix 10 SI and a Minnkota Terrova with I-pilot Link. The stuff is incredible. I can use my side imaging and locate a break (crib for example), Mark a waypoint, and my Terrova will take me right to it ( not kinda close but exactly on top of it) and then Spot Lock (anchor) right there. Absolutely awesome. I can also map with AutoChard. Holy crap is that great. Like Steve said, in a few hours you can map a small lake. And it is accurate.
Now all that said, I do still run a Vexilar. I actually run 9 degree transducer for it off my bow mount trolling motor when I troll so I get my depth reading sixteen feet sooner than if I had it on the transom (try it). It gives the detail that the other stuff doesn't give. I use my AutoChart for my map, but I still map like Dickson (and Buck of course) outlined years ago. AutoChart will not find you the contact point. Buck's method will.
I remember back in the late eighties, when Dickson first out out his mapping video, I went to one of the local lake outside of Milwaukee and mapped a bar (Wisconsin did not allow trolling then). I followed the instructions and located what I thought would be the contact point. I anchored and began to cast. In my third cast i had a 40" or so Musky follow up my crankbait. I was sold. I experienced similar results up north on several lakes( not my third cast ).
I have since mapped a few lakes with AutoChart that I previously mapped the "old way" and found that AutoChart certainly narrows down the spot, but you still have to do the work to find the contact point.
Now with all that, I will say, unless we as Spoonpluggers accept and encourage the use of technology, we are dead. I recall at a winter seminar, maybe 3 years ago, a new guy brought up the use of waypoints instead of using markers and land marks. He was literally hammered by some senior members. I'm sure he never came back. Don't misunderstand. Both he and the others were right in general, but these senior members were arguing that GPS was only accurate within a 30 yard distance or so. Wrong! GPS is deadnuts accurate under most conditions; but you still need markers. It was just a bad situation to encourage a new guy.
I think we as Spoonpluggers need to be more open to the new technology. I still use the Buck rods and a Penn 109 on occasion, but only because I'm nostalgic. The new equipment is far superior and Buck would surely use it if he were alive today.
In summary, I love Spoonplugging and I will always follow Buck's teachings. However, I will use new technology, knowledge and technique to improve my game.
Dennis
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Dennis, I agree with a lot of what you say. The new guys that don't learn by the book and those who may skip over that first part(by the book) will not have that basic knowledge needed to really put the new tools to good use.
As far as spoonplugging staying alive, there will always be a few doing it and sharing what they learned with others but it is closer to being dead than it ever was.
'The hard part of spoonplugging is getting the fisherman off his duff and doing it. That's always been the problem. I think the new technology will do more to phase us out than help us.
Do you really think that the gps is spot on enough to replace a well thrown marker on a spot interpreted by you as THE spot? I don't. Being a few feet off is not good enough a lot of the time. I still need my markers.
Tell me how you came up with the gps being right on the money.
John
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Some more, I have never used my electronics for mapping or to make a map. It only takes a few minutes to map out a bar, throw your markers and start fishing to find the rest of the answers. The time that it takes to drive over a fishing area for mapping purposes I consider wasted time (for me). It is not a sin to interpret what you might see on a depth finder of any kind while going through that mapping and fishing process with a lure in or out of the water but to run all over the lake in hopes of making a map that you can look at later , I just cant do it. It seems like wasted time to me. When I am done mapping a bar or spot, my marker is where I want it. When you are done with your map, you still don't have your spot found, you have a map. Just my thoughts. John
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

John,
I think we are on the same page.
As far as why I think GPS is spot on let me give you a real life example. Four years ago I marked multiple cribs on Lake Geneva using my side imaging after Brett fished there. If we had open water today, I could "tell" my Terrova to take me there and I would be directly on top of the crib. I'm talking a 4'x4' crib. Nothing is more precise. Even shoreline sightings have error.
Now, as I said in my post, nothing will replace a marker. Also, nothing will replace a well made, hand drawn map. But the New technology really is awesome.
Whenever I want an answer on what I'm doing, I look to Buck's writings and guys like you, Don Dickson, Steve Craig, and Jerry Borst for guidance.
My point was that new guys want acceptance for proven reality.
Dennis
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

The accuracy of GPS is dependent on how many satellites your unit is in contact with.
The more, the better the accuracy.
The old units were terrible as far as how close you could return to the "spot".
Not so with these new outfits.
It is unbelievable how close they get. 2-5 feet is the norm now. The old units, you were lucky if you got within 5-10 YARDS!
Here in the southwest, I have no trouble going to my contact point via my waypoint. I only remember one time when it was off of my rifle sights.
Im sure it was due to being in a very narrow part of the Canyon and the signal was bad.
But, as far as I am concerned, I am glad I learned the Buck Perry way.
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Steve, you are right on. During my time in the Army I saw the accuracy of GPS get better and better. Initially GPS was internally made inaccurate for civilians. Those days are over. Given good weather, GPS is truly spot on.
Dennis