Some pics I thought were interesting

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Teamlobudget

Some pics I thought were interesting

Post by Teamlobudget »

I am going to try and attach some pics from a local lake that I thought were inter sting after my studies of the green book. The lake was drawn down 30' to do some work on the dam and will be down for approximately 5-7 years. Right after the draw down fishing was great but the second year not so much. Not sure why but just know my old method of casting at stick ups ain't working. The one pic is of a creek up in the headwaters and shows the grass taking over just in the flat bottom. Roughly 25' + at front of cove where you see the two creeks meet. The second if it attaches is the inside of the river bend and you can see it slope down and break off at grass line.
Bear with me but I have questions about these two spots after a couple times through the green book. Would it be safe to say the where the grass starts is where migrations start and when I was not catching them up shallow on my new magic flopwaterspinnercrank that more than likely it was bad weather conditions and the fish were behind me on the deepest break?
The start of the migration was where the grass stops and I just was not making contact with them? I know I have caught fish in a few spots on both pics some of the time but not consistently.
IMG_0127.PNG
IMG_0127.PNG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1251 times
IMG_0126.PNG
IMG_0126.PNG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1251 times
Teamlobudget

Re: Some pics I thought were interesting

Post by Teamlobudget »

Well I hit the submit button before I was done but I think you all get the idea. When I got to the section in the book about seasonal movements this particular spot came to mind as a pretty good example. Steep shoreline on outside flatter structure on inside and a cove with a creek for spawning.

Let me know what you all think and if I am on the right track.

Thanks.
Team9nine
800 series

Re: Some pics I thought were interesting

Post by Team9nine »

Teamlobudget wrote: Bear with me but I have questions about these two spots after a couple times through the green book. Would it be safe to say the where the grass starts is where migrations start and when I was not catching them up shallow on my new magic flopwaterspinnercrank that more than likely it was bad weather conditions and the fish were behind me on the deepest break?
I think you are on the right track. You seem to have everything you need in a small area. Deep channel/steep bank cold water/home area, spawning cove with a good feeder creek, and then a wide sweeping bar (inside turn) for flatter "fishing season" work. Obviously you would need to thoroughly check everything until you get a good grasp of the structure situations present and the movements of the fish in this area.

The one thing I would add is that Buck says in a reservoir situation to assume all movements begin from the channel (deepest water). The grass line might be the most significant breakline in the area, but I wouldn't assume the movements start there. Look for breaks and breaklines deeper than that, perhaps the lip of the original channel before flooding and assume the fish first move to it from out of the channel, at least until proven otherwise.

-Brian