trolling reel

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Joe

trolling reel

Post by Joe »

I read in the tools section of Bucks training books that you should use a reel that doesn't disengage the handles when the release lever is tripped. Why is this important? I'm guessing it's so you can stop the line quicker(?) I checked out the Penn 9M and it only has a 3:1 gear ratio compared to 5.3:1 on my reels. This seams slow to me. I don't want to be cheap but I've spent a lot of $ on equipment lately and I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive reel for the heavy rod I just ordered from Bucks baits. Is there a real that fits the bill with a higher gear ratio similar to the Penn 9M? Thanks in advance for the help.
Joe Olson
Hooked Deep
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: trolling reel

Post by Steve Craig »

Joe,
Reel speed ratio is really not that important in a trolling reel.
That said, years ago we all used to use the old Penn 109's, and the handle would not disengage.
This was more for being able to "thumb" the reel when letting out line, or fighting a fish, without getting a backlash.
I keep an old 109 around for a keepsake and I also believe I have one of the 9M's.

Today I much prefer and use an Okuma Line Counter Trolling Reel. They come in different models, and I have several. I do not like the Diawa's because their line counters always quit on me.
Okumas are a moderate priced reel, and they have very good drag systems, as I now just set the drag, put the rod in a rod holder, and troll.
If I get a hang or a fish, the drag simply lets the line out without getting a backlash.
I have the Magna Pro 20 and Magna Pro 30 and the Convector. The Convector is the most expensive, but still priced very reasonable.
Hope this hel;ps
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Joe for you as a beginner you might want to stay with the equipment Buck recommends. His book and home study series are geared to the rods, reels, and line he describes. Once you get some experience under you belt, or under your keel, you can start deviating from what's described in the written material. Keep in mind a line-counter reel does not count the amount of line payed out, it counts the revolutions of the reel spool.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

James,
I must respectfully disagree with you on the line counters.

That may have been true when they first came out, or with certain brands, but the Okumas with a full spool will lay out 10 feet of line when the counter says 10 feet. With Nobo, when it says 30 feet, the colored area is right there at the end of the rod. I have measured it to verify that, that was the case.
If the spool is not completely full, then there is a small discrepancy between the line counters number and what is really out there.
But it is not off that much. Minor adjustments are always needed anyway with both models so the lure is bumping.

If this were not true, then my catches would suffer, and i would not know if my lure was bumping bottom or not? Yet,I have no trouble in either area.
So the counter must be pretty accurate. I will say the Diawa's are always wrong. One of the reasons why I dont use them.
I know Jerry uses them as well as Kenny Hyde, and they seem to do OK with the line counters.

Even with the old 109's, the same is true. You still had to have a full spool to get the correct footage with the layers.

No disrespect here, just disagree with your statement is all.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Steve no offense taken. I agree if the reel is filled to the top you may get feet of line relative to the number on the counter, but once you get below a full reel, it not accurate. The counter is still counting revolutions of the spool in either case. Think about it. The counter is mechanical and turns in the same way as an odometer/speedometer. If you change the tire/wheel size on an automobile the speedometer and odometer will be off. I have a line counter but count layers and when the amount of line I want is out I check the number on the counter; in case I shorten or lengthen the line.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Joe,
There are a LOT of areas you want to stick to what Mr Perry says but reels isn't one of them.

First, you can't get them new. So you are stuck going to ebay and buying someone elses crap. It constantly amazes me that guys have brand new boats with etec, Mercury, Yamaha motors and talk about how great modern stuff is then tell new guys they need to find a 60's generation reel that was never really that good when new. We have to stop doing it.

There are guys using electric line counter reels they import from Japan (I have a couple). The one Steve recommends I have used but I prefer the Diawa ones.

JWT isn't wrong just out of date and forgets why the 109 was recommended. With the line counters you get it right practically immdeiately. Even now I lose the layer count.

Now the rod is important, the line is fairly important, but the reel is an upgrade over that old piece of crap.

Night
Fran Myers