It's about the SPEED...

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Fran Myers
JB1

It's about the SPEED...

Post by Fran Myers »

I don't know if I posted this before, but this YouTube video came up again. This is a CLEAR example - that you MUST ask the question "Why did I catch this fish?" This person didn't.

This is the Ultimate difference between Spoonpluggers and the rest of the fisherman.

Enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDIGyozPnKI&sns=em

Please note that the technique the man was using is called 'Frogging''. I have NEVER done this until last year when John was here and it was an absolute BLAST. The Bass hit the frog like you've thrown a tire in the water and it's impossible to not get giggly just from strikes. When Howard arrives we are going to do this.

So the guy in vid casted the frog into pads and either finished his retrieve or he thought he missed the target and was using a scorching retrieve to get the frog to the 'Proper' spot. I wonder how many big fish he might have gotten had he recognized the SPEED being the trigger.
Fran Myers
spnplgrkenny

Re: It's about the SPEED...

Post by spnplgrkenny »

Outstanding point Fran!!
I think most conventional fishermen think to much about color and reputation of lures without ever thinking about speed, unless they just stumble across it.
Case and point, many years ago before I became a spoonplugger, Me and my buddy would go night fishing for white bass during the may fly hatch.
We always picked a private dock where they had a bright overhead light that shined in the water, which brought the may flys, in return brought the white bass, feeding on the mayflys falling in the water.
We were using small hair jigs. We would cast them out and let them sink in the shallow water, then we would start our slow retrieve, with no success, even though the white bass were tearing the top water up going after the mayflys.
By accident, I cast next to dock and got snagged, and jerked it lose and proceeded to reel in extremely fast to make another cast, and a nice white bass clobbered it with me realing in wide open.
After noticing what just took place, we both started the very fast retrieve and caught 106 white bass that night.

Thanks again Fran
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Fran said we threw a frog when I was up last year. He had bought some from a recomendation from someone else. I knew he had them and when we were fishing this lake, I noticed that the shallow stuff was fairly thick and about then, I saw a bass bust through it. I told him to rig us a couple of rods with those things and I would show him something. I explained to him how important it was not to set the hook until you feel the fish otherwise you would be wearing the frog somewhere on your head. I made this very clear several times before we made a single cast. On my first cast, a bass must have been watching me make the cast because as soon as the frog hit the water, the bass blew up on it and it scared the hell out of me and I ripped back on the rod exactly like I was explaining to fran not to. End of story. John
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish