Questions not answered at Breakline Club meeting on June 17

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
clayrussell

Questions not answered at Breakline Club meeting on June 17

Post by clayrussell »

1. Do you find a 6" breakline visually by looking in the water (assuming it is clear enough to see to the bottom)? When I am out in my boat, if there is any wave action from wind or boats, the locator varies the depth while the boat is rocking. So, how could I possibly tell a 6" breakline?

2. Most of the lakes that I fish have average depths less than 10' and with maximum depths less than 25 feet. The surface water temperature right now is about 85 degrees. It is hard for me to believe that these lakes have an actual thermocline. Assuming I am correct in that assumption, why do there not seem to be schools of bass in the deepest water in the areas with hard bottoms (of which there are not many hard bottom areas in these lakes)? But, back to thermocline, if there really is a thermocline, then I should be fishing for suspended bass?

Note: This has to do with (almost) structureless lakes in central Florida. Question 1 has to do with very shallow water (less than 8 feet) regarding looking visually. However, in deeper water that is not clear, I just don't understand how any depth finder can show a 6" breakline UNLESS there is absolute calm water.
John Bales
JB2

Re: Questions not answered at Breakline Club meeting on June

Post by John Bales »

Clay, Have you tried golf? John PS. I'll post something a little later. Ok, it's later. Here is how you fish a Florida lake. You locate the deepest water in the lake or the deepest water in the area. You can look at a map to give you the area or area's. Some of the lakes you can identify some kind of a breakline like when we fished Orange lake. Some of the lakes it is more difficult. You must be able to identify a muck line if there is one. This takes a little practice but you can usually see a change in the bottom composition by the thickness of your reading and then you must notice the change when you cross it. It is usually located at some depth near the deeper holes. Some are at 8 feet and some may be 13 feet or even deeper. But you must be able to identify it. Some breaklines will be 6 inches or a foot but that change may take place at a distance of 50 or 100 feet. If you go slow, you will never see it. Don't look for a major change in depth over a short distance. These breaklines that you and I struggle to find and see are major deals for the fish. Once you know what they look like, you are on your way to groups of fish that are untapped. There is so much more than just locating the best areas. Now you must learn to run lures which is another test. Your line legnth's will be so important so you are just barely tipping the top of the muck and your speeds will be faster than most parts of the country. You will learn to troll a short line and a long line which will take care of the active fish and the less active fish. It is a whole new ball of wax. You would not think that waters with a max depth of 10 feet could cause a fisherman so much trouble. Wait till you think you have it all figured out and a major front comes through and you take a woopin for a week straight. I believe that I heard Frank Hamill say that he made 17 trips down to Florida before he started to figure things out. I retire in 11 months. If I'm still alive, fly me down and I'll show you myself. John
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

"Note: This has to do with (almost) structureless lakes in central Florida. Question 1 has to do with very shallow water (less than 8 feet) regarding looking visually. However, in deeper water that is not clear, I just don't understand how any depth finder can show a 6" breakline UNLESS there is absolute calm water."

Clay, You and i have talked about this before.
Florida lakes are NOT "structureless"!!!
Like John said above........we just have to learn HOW to see them, and HOW to fish them. Like John said, if you and I can not "see" or "feel" that Muck line, then like Mr. Perry always said," we are dead".

Recently Tom Ferencek, one of my mentors and teachers, and I were talking about these lakes. He has got the "bug" back for fresh water fishing and has left the salt water stuff, to fish the Harris chain again, as well as other lakes in central Florida. He, like myself like to fish Griffin. It has a wonderful Muck line at 13 feet(depending on water levels) with 17 or so in the slot.
If you cant feel it or see it on your finder, then you will not catch a fish. It is that simple.
Tommy and his girlfriend are hammering them again after all these years!
Here is a note he just sent me. I have removed the wonderful things he said about the loss of my son and only post what he is doing now.
Read between the lines and go out and do it. Or like John said, get him down there to show you.

From Tom:
"Hi Steve...It's been a long hiatis from freshwater fishing, but recently got the bug again. Checked out a lake near me ( Lake Dias) and got into the fish the first day. We ( my girlfriend and I) caught bass on 5 straight trips out. Typical Florida lake with a nice large breakline (10' to 12') off a bar with several fingers. There are many other lakes in the area with potential."

Clay, I recently posted a picture of Tommy running the boat and looking at his old "needle" depth finder. That old unit will show you a 6 inch breakline better than any finder i have seen to date.
What Tommy said above about a "nice large breakline", is key to all Florida lakes. Large in the fact that from 10-12 feet, can be hundreds of yards wide. 6 inch breaklines can be the same.
If you are looking for a "6 inch dropoff", you are correct, because you will never see that. But you will see that same 6 inch breakline spread over a very large area.
Steve
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Clay,

Take John B. up on his offer. Best money you will ever spend. Not only will you learn; but you will enjoy the experience. Plus you don't have to make those long 1300 mile round trips from Tennessee to Florida to learn about those unique Florida type lakes.

Good Fishing,

TN Dave
phillip szafranski
200 series

Post by phillip szafranski »

Hello Clay,

I cannot offer any better advice than John and Steve just provided. I can tell you that I just returned from the area in question and did have a few hours to go and look at the launches and water color. Griffin and Eustis had a brown tint that appeared to be approximately water color to three or three and a half feet. Weir was clearer in nature than the other two lakes. Very little fishing pressure for the size of lakes and found nobody in areas that appeared to offer solid Spoonplugging possibilities. Stopped at a bait shop and the owner / guide was booking a trip with a possible customer. Listing to the dialog made me smirk to myself when hearing what came out of his mouth. Looks like you have a tremendous and exciting opportunity ahead of you. Just follow the guidance offered by John and Steve and results should improve.

PS - Keep cool for now, know you have 100 plus heat indexes.
Phil