Trolling reels

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
site admin
Site Admin

Trolling reels

Post by site admin »

I still use the old Penn 109 reels. I know they have stopped making them for several years now.
Are there any new reels on the market that the handle stays engaged during free spool like the 109?
Bink
800 series

Re: Trolling reels

Post by Bink »

Why do you want them to say engaged during free spool?
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

That's what the book says!
Buck said you will have less backlashes and more control if the handle stays engaged all the time.
In the Don Dickson workshop tapes, he mentions there was another reel other than the penn 109 that was like that, but he could not recall what it was in the tapes.
Steve Craig
JB2

Post by Steve Craig »

Jim,
I havent seen one for years.
I switched to the Okuma line counters, and havent looked back. I love them. Tough reels, and unlike the Diawa's, the line counter doesnt seem to break.
I just use the drag and my thumb for the most part.
Once you get used to them, you wont go back.
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

I havnt used a 109 in 20 years. I really like the Shimano triton 100 gt, great reel
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

Shimano Tekota with double anti reverse is sweet reel. A bit pricey but top notch line counter.
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

I have not used the Penn 109's in 25 years or so. Despised those reels, had all sorts of problems with the line getting behind the spool. Only way to get the line out was to disassemble the reels, UGH!!! Lost a lot of Spoonplugs due to the line[both No-Bo and wire] breaking after gettting caught in the spool.

The best reels I have used for trollling are the Penn International Baitcasting reel. [Excellent for casting Spoonplugs as well] Smooth, tough drag and the reels have outlasted anything I have used in the past. Those old 109's were like using a manual pencil sharpener compared to the Internationals.

Thanks to Terry O'Malley for telling me about the reels. The reels are not cheap; but they last and last and work very well. A fish of a life time will not be lost because of a reel malfunction. Like Steve said, simple to use, just use the ole thumb when letting line out and adjust the line tension accordingly.

When my chilren where young and fishing with me, they had no trouble using the Penn International. Actually found them eaiser to use than the 109's and made a remark to me to the effect why I had not gotten the Internationals sooner.

Another choice, although not as good as the Penn Internationals is the Ambassadeur 5500 C3's . They work better than the 109's ; but will not hold up under trolling use as well as the Penn's.

Good Fishing,

TN Dave
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shimano- ... 100&rid=20

The tekota and international are both very good reels but both are heavy & expensive.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

Jim,
Spoil yourself with a line counter. Ive been using convectors for a couple years and last year I switched - and my old brain doesnt remember but when I get home Ill pull one out and let you know.

At the seminar I heard a wonderful saying. It was "Don't get Paralyzed by over analyzing". That is the best thing Ive heard in a long time. Yes, Penn 109's are in the book. But before that it was the Buck Perry reel and they stopped making those. You can absolutely continue to use 109's but you'll need to send them out for rebuild. Either to Penn or someone else (I have an awesome guy). Or...

Terry O'Malley recommended Penn 955 and 965's. Much BETTER drag with either, same size spool as 109 so layers will be the same. I have them and they are great. They are rugged saltwater reels however Penn stopped building the 955.

Again Mr. Perry is correct. I definitely LOVE my 14' Jon Boat. If i had started with that boat my skills would have developed faster, now its just more fun. Flashers are adequate. but what John failed to mention when answering the StructureScan question at the seminar is that while he KNEW they spots-he had NO idea what was really down in the holes on the Detroit River. He was AMAZED.
We have to remember that it was the guidelines that found the fish - not electronics.

So the bottom line-Don't be afraid to update your equipment. Yes youll need to adjust but not that much. For the TV show - people are looking at your equipment and some will lose the message because of a stupid detail that means very little.

I use florocarbon, florobraid, and very little NoBo. I use wire when I have to but its not always the best tool. Nobo is great but on hot days I prefer floro cause it sinks, thus shorter lines.

You've already strayed from the GB (17' boat with a 50+ etec) and you didnt burst into flames. Don't let a reel or lack of direct drive reels stop you. Again youll have to have your 109's rebuilt but youll love the diawa line counters...
Fran Myers
Team9nine
800 series

Post by Team9nine »

Fran Myers wrote:Jim,

You've already strayed from the GB (17' boat with a 50+ E-TEC) and you didn't burst into flames.
Great post, Fran! - but that line is just classic :mrgreen: :lol: 8-)

...I'm still laughing

-Brian
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

The Penn 109's were junk back then and I hated it when I was on the water and the level wind stopped working. It didn't take me long to get rid of them. The new line counters are great. I can say that because I am on the water more than most. John
site admin
Site Admin

Post by site admin »

You've already strayed from the GB (17' boat with a 50+ etec) and you didnt burst into flames.
I pushed it right to the edge, but the breaking point (or is it melting point) is an 18 footer with a 75hp.... Below is what happens when you push it too far..!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2ZpsbGr7s8

I'm one of the last old school spoonpluggers. I never used anything but the 109's. Time to change!
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Jim are your 109's in need of repair/rebuilding? I've rebuilt six or eight of them an they work like new. Parts are available and rebuild is pretty easy.
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Jim,

After watching that video I went on eBay and bid on some 109s. I'm not taking any chances.

Actually, it appears Mr Perry is pretty understanding. If Borst can get away with that Fancy Schmancy electric reel I think we are safe with simple line counters.

I use Diawa Sealine and an Okuma Cold water and they are both excellent.

If you are looking for Penn parts Google "Scotts Bait and Tackle". They carry most everything you need to rebuild a 109.

Dennis
beckman44
700 series

Post by beckman44 »

The reel I have been using for the last 5 years with many hours of hard use is the Daiwa Accudepth L17. Around 60 dollars and have had no line counter problems. Bill.