Lure Color Selection

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
RobW

Lure Color Selection

Post by RobW »

I am a Newbie. Am ordering the "Green" book and the necessary equipment on Buck's website. I am going to order all of the spoonplug sizes, but I am wondering what color(s) I should have starting out. I know the website has many, many to choose from, but I just want to stick with the basics and use what will get the job done, especially since that seems far down on the list of considerations with learning the system.

It is interesting that even though Buck was from Hickory NC, there are few practictioners in the Carolinas (at least compared to up north), or so it seems.

I live next to Lake Hartwell in SC and am looking forward to learning.

Thanks
Rob
Jerry Borst
800 series

Re: Lure Color Selection

Post by Jerry Borst »

Hello Rob and welcome! You are about to embark on a life changing experience in fishing success, "if" you follow the guidelines as closely as possible! 

As far as color goes Buck sez: clear water/ bright day to use a bright lure, white, silver etc. On a dark day or "Good" dark water color to use a dark color such as copper, dark blue or black. When fishing the in- between say a day 3rd or 4th day after a front (clouds building) or a yellow green color then a in-between color like brass or yellow. 

The bottom line is color really does not matter a whole lot, yes there are days when a certain color will out produce another, if you see this then change. The most important thing is to know exactly "Where" a lure or bait is and the speed that it's moving. Make sure you check every lure for straightness be before sending it down. Also the investment in a good lure retriever will save you a lot of money!

Buck fished Hartwell so your in good company! If I'm ever in your area I'd love to check it out.
Best of luck,
RobW

Post by RobW »

Thank Jerry, that helps a ton.

I grew up fishing large creeks and rivers in Eastern NC, and the only lakes we had were quite shallow and very few. So I move to Upstate SC and I have no clue how to fish these big reservoirs, so it gets me excited about following a method step by step to help me succeed.

Anytime you're in this neck of the woods, I'll set you up and we'll see if we can beat what the pros did at the Bass Masters classic here last month.

Rob
Jerry Borst
800 series

Post by Jerry Borst »

Rob

That sounds terrific, either send a pm. call or text me your number to 815-351-4241 and the next time I'm in your area we'll see if we can set something up. I believe Buck would have called Hartwell a "big rascal" always loved that! I've crossed over Hartwell a number of times on hwy 85 and the color looks good from what I remember. There are probably guys on here that have fished it, anyone?
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

As far as color for starting out, Buck recommended "neutral" colors; good in either bright or dark conditions. Just ask Buck's Baits for neutral colors and they'll pick 'em for you. Citadel59.