Open Water Season - Can't Wait

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
ltharley
100 series

Open Water Season - Can't Wait

Post by ltharley »

Hey Guys,

Like most of you, I have been enduring winter by finding anything that can keep me busy. Ice fishing is okay, but I can't wait till the water is soft again. I have been getting gear ready and searching the internet for information, just to keep myself occupied (I'm semi-retired so work is not a focus. Duplex will likely understand).

While doing this I found a video series on Youtube by a guy out in the state of Washington that is really informative and interesting. His name is Seth Burrill. His company is called Anglers Xperience (google it). He has a tv series out in Washington and several series of instructional videos on Youtube that I found really packed full of good information. The instructional video series I would suggest you start out watching is a four part deal on "Secrets to Big Fish Revealed". In this series Seth covers a variety of topic on location (depth) and speed in relationship to seasonal movements of trophy sized fish. Now understand that Seth is not a Spoonplugger, and he may refer to a stump or dock as structure, but get past the terminology. Also, remember that he is talking about some specifics only applicable to the area he guides, the state of Washington (ie Rainbow trout as a bait fish).

Take a look while you wait for the open water. I think you will find some good info. Here is a link to the first video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=829kAq4whC8

Again, remember that Seth is not a Spoonplugger. Look beyond the stuff that is contrary to the Green book, think about the information
Seth presents and how you can relate it to your past experiences and future efforts.

Let me know what you think.

Dennis
John Bales
JB2

Re: Open Water Season - Can't Wait

Post by John Bales »

Dennis, You are so right about one thing. This guys is for sure not a spoonplugger. I was not quite 3 minutes into the video when I almost shut it down. Between that time and the end, I thought about something that Mr. Perry once said. The reason that he went out on his own to find out what made a fish tick, and what he had to do to catch him, is because everyone had their own ideas and not many answers were the same. This guy sure has his own ideas. Not to say that he is not doing some of the right things but some of what he had to say was out there. The best thing that he said was that he follows the fish to the next structure as they migrate. Fishing slow to get the big fish? He never catches his biggest fish in the summer? Sounds like he is chasing the spawn for every species. Mr. Perry never included much information about catching the fish during the spawn. When asked why, he said that anybody can catch them that time of year!!!!!! I know......... you warned that the guy is not a spoonplugger. John PS. One more thing to add. Maybe I am a little bias towards those who are not spoonpluggers but I have my reasons. Becoming a troller(spoonplugger) and just by learning to keep our lures in position will give you knowledge that no one else has. It will teach you about structure, fish movements, weather and water conditions and how it controls the fish movements, depth and speed and the learning never stops. If you can learn to do this consistantly, you can learn every so called fishing method you want and it will come easy. You will already understand the when, where , what, why and how of it all. Most fishermen do not have the guidelines that we do and I am actually glad that there aren't that many who would listen. Douglas, you are rubbing off on me. And just one more thing......... With you being a spoonplugger, you will be able to listen to a guy like this and you can weed out what you know is only an opinion (BS) and what may be worth listening to.
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

John,

I knew that many of the things Seth spoke of were contradictory to our ways, hence the statement that he was not a Spoonplugger. That said, once you weed out the obvious, he does have some valid information on location (depth and seasonal movement) and presentation of lures (speed). In some of his stuff he does address summer movement, to include things like walleye suspending at the thermocline and the such. I know it is not easy to listen to much of it, but as you posted, the bass tourney guy know some stuff too. Might not follow the guidelines, but these guys catch fish.

As always, I appreciate the insights. Hope the hand is healing.

Dennis
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

I agree with you on that. Back to the doc tomorrow to see if they will let me back to work. I'm getting fat and the ice is too thick for me to enjoy ice fishing. Fingers are slowly improving and thank you for the thought. See you soon. John
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

John Bales wrote:Dennis, You are so right about one thing. This guys is for sure not a spoonplugger. I was not quite 3 minutes into the video when I almost shut it down. Between that time and the end, I thought about something that Mr. Perry once said. The reason that he went out on his own to find out what made a fish tick, and what he had to do to catch him, is because everyone had their own ideas and not many answers were the same. This guy sure has his own ideas. Not to say that he is not doing some of the right things but some of what he had to say was out there. The best thing that he said was that he follows the fish to the next structure as they migrate. Fishing slow to get the big fish? He never catches his biggest fish in the summer? Sounds like he is chasing the spawn for every species. Mr. Perry never included much information about catching the fish during the spawn. When asked why, he said that anybody can catch them that time of year!!!!!! I know......... you warned that the guy is not a spoonplugger. John PS. One more thing to add. Maybe I am a little bias towards those who are not spoonpluggers but I have my reasons. Becoming a troller(spoonplugger) and just by learning to keep our lures in position will give you knowledge that no one else has. It will teach you about structure, fish movements, weather and water conditions and how it controls the fish movements, depth and speed and the learning never stops. If you can learn to do this consistantly, you can learn every so called fishing method you want and it will come easy. You will already understand the when, where , what, why and how of it all. Most fishermen do not have the guidelines that we do and I am actually glad that there aren't that many who would listen. Douglas, you are rubbing off on me. And just one more thing......... With you being a spoonplugger, you will be able to listen to a guy like this and you can weed out what you know is only an opinion (BS) and what may be worth listening to.
I think the point on timing was more that late fall, winter and early spring before spawn was that this is in fact when you have the chance to catch the biggest fish. The fish are much heavier at these times due to the natural cycle. Caught many 30 inch August walleye this year that were at least 2-3 lbs heavier before the ice came in January.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

It is a shame that most fishermen don't even know that spoonplugging exists. And even worse, most that have the knowledge at their finger tips, have not taken full advantage of it. There are lots of ways to catch a fish. Lots of so called methods. Any one of them will catch a fish at one time or another. If you want to become a great fisherman, you need to become a good troller. (Good things are worth repeating). What is learned while becoming a good troller will make understanding how and when to do the other things easy. The fishing situation will guide you in knowing what to do next to put the most fish in the boat.
I could have said that this guy was an idiot and 20 years ago, I would have. Now a days, I am more open minded but still say that if you want to become a great fisherman, the only way that you will understand the whole ball of wax is to become a good troller first. And then if you want to learn another fishing method , it will come easy. During my last few doctor visits, I have had some time to pick up a field and stream issue or bassmaster and read some of the articles. All I can say is that I miss the old fishing facts magazine articles because there is very little usefull information out there these days. Stick to the basics of spoonplugging, get good at it, and then you will have the knowledge to weed out the crap.
Any time we catch a fish, we are spoonplugging. I love to fish a dropshot, pitch a jig into the thick outside weedline for the bass in the summer months. Love to cast the inside weedline with a jig or a weightless sinko. Love to cast and vertical jig a blade bait. Especially love to troll a jerkbait or a shadrap for the smallies on Lake St. Clair in May. Love to fish a 1/4 oz jig on a spinning rod with 8lb test in the early and late season. Love to cast or troll a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig for crappies in the spring or post spawn. It is all spoonplugging. Spoonplugging has taught me when it is time to do the stupid stuff. It is ok to think outside the box, as long as you don't stray too far. John
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

John,
It is a shame that no one knows what Spoonplugging is but at the same time i believe in the right time, with the right people - the opportunity to expand Spoonplugging is incredible. I know people are hungry.

While technology has improved tremendously, $500,000 in electronics won't improve catches without a set of guidelines proved 70 years ago.

I also believe as a group, we must change some of out thinking too. Instead of making people feel like shit because they have steering wheel boats and not troll - why not help people get to be the best fisherman they can be? It works and success fuels success.

Spoonplugging isnt easy. Sometimes its not fun (did I say that?). But if we have interested fisherman and we help them improve their fishing within the limits they place on themselves - we will get more spoonpluggers. Eventually theyll buy tiller boats, troll wire, etc.

While we need to be a little selective, we shouldnt make it impossible for people to participate.
I mean doesnt weather effect everyone? What about water or daily and seasonal movements?
We have to remember these bass and musky guys aren't stupid. We can learn from them too.
Fran Myers