Water Color

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
Fran Myers
JB1

Water Color

Post by Fran Myers »

Some of you know I am going fishing in Africa in August.
The few maps available are nearly identical to what is in the home study and who knows maybe I will do well.

So some of my African Friends are in Botswana right now on a Bass fishing trip. I don't know how big the bass is but the important thing to look at is the water color. I'm not sure I've ever seen 'White Sandy'. Almost like a Unicorn

Letsibogo Reservoir,
Botswana

Last year Tristan and others went to Zimbabwe. There were a number of bass taken from 16 to 19 pounds. Tristan himself caught a stringer of 12 pounders...jeez
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.34 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Fran Myers
Steve Craig
JB2

Re: Water Color

Post by Steve Craig »

Fran,
That is White Sandy water color!
At one time, there were several Reservoirs in Indiana that had that exact color. Raccoon Lake used to be that color, but has gone to a dark yellow green. Waveland still has White Sandy, and several others still have the true white sandy color.
You should have a pretty good trip!
Religion is a guy in church, thinking about fishing.
Relationship is a guy out fishing, thinking about God!
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

It is going to be fun in many ways.
We are not going to this reservoir however 2 of the 3 are dark yellow green with big populations of large Florida Strains. The last is a clear one with 15ft weedlines with Smallmouth.

We are already talking about another trip in the future for a trip to Zimbabwe for huge Tiger fish and Florida Strains. Maybe we need to think about Botswana...
Fran Myers
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

A trip targeting goliath tigerfish would be amazing. Check out the river monsters episode on them...one nasty fish.
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

You know, it's funny you say that. There is a reservoir in Zimbabwe my friend was telling me had 40 pound Tigers. We are actually starting to plan a second trip to Africa

I guess there are 40 pounders in Zimbabwe, then a little farther north there are Goliath Tigers which go over 80 pounds, and then in Egypt there are 400 pound Nile Perch, which are the same shape as a Largemouth Bass.

While we're at the first reservoir, we're going call some people in Richard's Bay. If the conditions are right there could be some interesting Ocean Fish around. Although there aren't any big migrations of Marlin, Sailfish, or Tuna...but there are large numbers of resident Giant Trevally and Barricuda. I guess the local ones get 50 pounds or more.

I think some JB's would work great for them. I guess Barricuda there get to 40 and 50 pounds. The Locals call them Crocodiles. The Travally have been on my fishing Bucket List for over a decade. While they are pretty easy to hook, they are incredibly strong and challenging to land. Hoping to get some pictures holding big huge fish with JB's in their mouths.
Fran Myers