Pattern Development

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
ltharley
100 series

Pattern Development

Post by ltharley »

I went out to Tishigan Lake in Racine Co, WI today. Tichigan is a stained water lake with a primary breakline at about 8-10' depending on where you are on the lake. There are weeds out to about 4' and scattered weeds deeper in various areas.

I started my fishing as instructed. I began by straining the shallows (4-8') with a 400 spoonplug (500 puts me in the weed). I caught a couple of undersized LMBass. I tried casting the shallows for a change of pace and same result. Decided to move deeper.

I hit the primary breakline in the 8' to 10' area with a spoonplug. I caught a 24" northern in short order. I decided to put out a second line with a Berkley #7 flicker shad on it in a rod holder. Within a few minutes I had another northern of about 27", followed by 28" on the shad. Over the next half hour I had more hits (some lost while reeling in, poor hook set I think: problem I seem to have with flicker shad). Nothing on the spoonplug.

I decided to switch to a flicker shad on both rods and continued to work the primary breakline at around the 10' area. Over next few hours I hook at least a 18 fish, to include northern, LMBass, walleye, a nice crappie and a perch the same size as the shad bait. I landed a half dozen northerns between 28" and 31" and lost a 40" plus northern because my net man is an idiot (that's me). I had one other huge fish on that was taking line on drag that I never saw. Likely another northern, but could have been a nice cat.

Each time I went for a period of time (15 minutes or so) without a fish, I would say to myself: "if this pass doesn't produce, I'm going back to the shallows". I ended up each time making a hook up on that pass.

The moral of the story is; When a pattern develops, go with it and stick with it until it stops.

Dennis
jwt
800 series

Re: Pattern Development

Post by jwt »

Good work Dennis. Nice report.
DouglasBush

Re: Pattern Development

Post by DouglasBush »

ltharley wrote:I went out to Tishigan Lake in Racine Co, WI today. Tichigan is a stained water lake with a primary breakline at about 8-10' depending on where you are on the lake. There are weeds out to about 4' and scattered weeds deeper in various areas.
I started my fishing as instructed. I began by straining the shallows (4-8') with a 400 spoonplug (500 puts me in the weed). I caught a couple of undersized LMBass. I tried casting the shallows for a change of pace and same result. Decided to move deeper.
I hit the primary breakline in the 8' to 10' area with a spoonplug. I caught a 24" northern in short order. I decided to put out a second line with a Berkley #7 flicker shad on it in a rod holder. Within a few minutes I had another northern of about 27", followed by 28" on the shad. Over the next half hour I had more hits (some lost while reeling in, poor hook set I think: problem I seem to have with flicker shad). Nothing on the spoonplug.
I decided to switch to a flicker shad on both rods and continued to work the primary breakline at around the 10' area. Over next few hours I hook at least a 18 fish, to include northern, LMBass, walleye, a nice crappie and a perch the same size as the shad bait. I landed a half dozen northerns between 28" and 31" and lost a 40" plus northern because my net man is an idiot (that's me). I had one other huge fish on that was taking line on drag that I never saw. Likely another northern, but could have been a nice cat.
Each time I went for a period of time (15 minutes or so) without a fish, I would say to myself: "if this pass doesn't produce, I'm going back to the shallows". I ended up each time making a hook up on that pass.
The moral of the story is; When a pattern develops, go with it and stick with it until it stops. Dennis
You seem to be a pretty sharp fella'.
I like the pics you show in another post of your fish....you were fishing in the right place, the right way, and at the right time. You weren't, as Buck used to say, "drawing cards to any bobtail straights". You were playing the best percentages.
I'm going to woof a bit about your moral of story...no big deal, just a warning of how easily the mind can trick us into slipping away from what is necessary. Especially with that word "pattern".....(coined by the famous Roland Martin, Bass Anglers Sportsman Society wizard back in the 60's)
The moral of your story is really this: Proper depth and speed control, AT THE SAME TIME, is always the answer to any fishing questions.
That's not me preaching...that comes straight from the "old coach" himself.
You did great....keep it up.
Regards