Finding good Spoonplugging waters

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
ltharley
100 series

Finding good Spoonplugging waters

Post by ltharley »

After more than a dozen years away from fishing I'm back in the game. Man did I miss fishing.

After re-reading the green book and the home study course a few times, I decided to start as instructed and look for lakes with good water color. Thankfully, the Wisconsin DNR website actually has a water quality report on most lakes which includes water clarity.

I discovered a lake less than 20 miles from my house that was reported to have low water clarity. The lake is Tishigan in Racine Co, WI. I believe, based on some internet research, Tichigan is a natural lake that became part of an impoundment of the fox river (of IL fox river chain fame) when a dam was constructed in Waterford, WI in the early 1800's.

I made my first trip there in mid July. When I arrived at the lake after a mile or so river ride I was immediately thrilled. I dropped lure into the water and it disappeared within a foot of the surface. I put on a 400 spoonplug ( I know I am suppose to start with a 500, but I killed a prop years ago on a maiden voyage to a lake and learned it is best to see what is there first, you know like the boulder I hit) and went to work.

I found that the weeds, for the most part, stopped at around 4.5 feet. Sweet! Unheard of in the natural lakes in SE Wisconsin. I trolled the 4-6 fow area and picked up a small LMBass within 100 yards or so. Looking at the contour map and along the shoreline, the only thing I could see in this area was a small feeder creek. I decided to continue. I short distance later I switched to a 250.

Within another 200 yards I discovered (as was depicted on the contour map) a nice bar extended out to the middle of the lake. As I made my way out on the bar I hooked and landed a 26" northern in 8 fow. I immediately created a waypoint and began to map the bar. The primary breakline on this lake is at around 8 to 10 feet. This bar has produced fairly consistent catches of northern, with the largest being 31".

I have worked this lake now about a dozen times and have discovered about 10 solid structure situations. I have mapped most of them now and have made fairly good catches every time out. I am discovering the weaknesses my trolling presentation, such as not being able to reproduce a pass after a catch, but I am getting the message; Pay Attention!

I have attached some pictures of some of some of the catches, all on spoonplugs (200, 250, 100 mainly). Best northern to date was a 35" out of 4.5 fow on a 200 while going back to strain the shallows (thank you Kraig and others for the reminder).

Thank you Buck, Terry O'Malley, John Bales (have all of your videos), Mike Moran, and Brett Christenson for the knowledge, guidance, and encouragement.

Dennis
Attachments
LMB from 11' hump off of island
LMB from 11' hump off of island
Tish Hump Bass1.jpg (121.63 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
LMB from finger north side of island bar
LMB from finger north side of island bar
Tish Bar Bass 2.jpg (154.39 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
20" plus walleye from island bar
20" plus walleye from island bar
20 plus Waldo.jpg (138.5 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
31" northern from bar
31" northern from bar
31 inch Northern.jpg (159.43 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
jwt
800 series

Re: Finding good Spoonplugging waters

Post by jwt »

Good going Dennis. Nice looking fish. Keep the reports/photos coming.
DouglasBush

Re: Finding good Spoonplugging waters

Post by DouglasBush »

Excellent work!
You got the drop on that water....holding it hostage with both barrels.
Take some advice....do NOT make much noise about this place. The bassmasters will come in droves, blocking up the ramps, being nuisances, and all the rest.
Been there and done that myself. (find the dummy in that scenario)
Stay successful....perfection is not to be attained, but by golly, excellence is!
Your rise from mediocrity is an achievment that is best kept to yourself...except in here with other spoonpluggers. They know the score.
Regards.