Rods?????

Basic movements,control/tools, structure,weather/water, presentation lures, lake types, mapping, mental aspects
jimmyfins

Rods?????

Post by jimmyfins »

Hey Spoonpluggers. Whats the difference in the heavy action rods and the regular action rods by Buck Perry?

Thanks.

Jim
Kevin McClure

Re: Rods?????

Post by Kevin McClure »

Jim, I can't help you as far as the comparison part, so hopefully someone that knows about the lighter action rods will jump in when they see your post. But I can tell you that I have two of the Buck Perry Heavy Action Rods and I absolutely love them. I would get one for the NO-Bo line and one for the wire line and keep them separate, funds permitting of course. (The wire line can dig into your tip) Scott at www.buckperry.com could help you out as far as choosing and also recommend what tip to use. He's a good guy and was very helpful when I purchased my rods. Kevin
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Kevin and Jim, check out the Twili for wire. Many Spoonpluggers use 'em and like 'em a lot. I bought one but haven't used it yet. http://www.fishusa.com/Twili-Tip-Wire-Line-Guide_p.html
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

James, All the reviews of this tip were very positive. Thanks for sharing the link. I'll buy one and try it out.

Jimmyfins, If you decide to purchase one for your wire line rod, you can have it shipped to Scott and he can install it for you rather than removing the one he installs. Just a suggestion.
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Kevin,
One creative person I know took the spring off a door stop, slipped it through the rod tip, and secured it with a nylon wire tie. It works beautifully and is considerably less expensive than a Twili.
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

jimmyfins wrote:Hey Spoonpluggers. Whats the difference in the heavy action rods and the regular action rods by Buck Perry?

Thanks.

Jim
The Regular Action Spoonplugging trolling rod works well for just about any trolling situation. Some Spoonpluggers use the Regular Action Rod for trolling Spoonplugs, 500, 400, 250 200, and the 100 series. Then use the Heavy Action Rod for the 700 and 800 series Spoonplugs.

I use the Regular Action Rod to troll all 7 sizes. However, if you are fishing for larger fish, ie, Musky or Stripers, the Heavy Action Rod will be better suited for these fish. The other use for the Heavy Action Rod is when fishing heavy brush or trees in a lake where you are constantly having to jerk the Spoonplug free from hangs...use a 20# No-Bo for these situation.

Starting out, try the Regular Action rods for both No-Bo and wire. Then make the decision on what you prefer. Most of the Spoonpluggers I know keep both rods in the boat, rigged and ready to use.

Good Fishing,

TN Dave

PS: I do not have a Twili tip on my wire line rod. Some of the other Spoonpluggers can give you an opinion on the tip.
jimmyfins

Post by jimmyfins »

TN Dave wrote:
jimmyfins wrote:Hey Spoonpluggers. Whats the difference in the heavy action rods and the regular action rods by Buck Perry?

Thanks.

Jim
The Regular Action Spoonplugging trolling rod works well for just about any trolling situation. Some Spoonpluggers use the Regular Action Rod for trolling Spoonplugs, 500, 400, 250 200, and the 100 series. Then use the Heavy Action Rod for the 700 and 800 series Spoonplugs.

I use the Regular Action Rod to troll all 7 sizes. However, if you are fishing for larger fish, ie, Musky or Stripers, the Heavy Action Rod will be better suited for these fish. The other use for the Heavy Action Rod is when fishing heavy brush or trees in a lake where you are constantly having to jerk the Spoonplug free from hangs...use a 20# No-Bo for these situation.

Starting out, try the Regular Action rods for both No-Bo and wire. Then make the decision on what you prefer. Most of the Spoonpluggers I know keep both rods in the boat, rigged and ready to use.

Good Fishing,

TN Dave

PS: I do not have a Twili tip on my wire line rod. Some of the other Spoonpluggers can give you an opinion on the tip.
Thanks to everyone for the input. I did call Bucks baits and they explained everything to me as well.
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

Have a question on the spoonplugger rods....I recently got one of each (R and H action) and the reel seat is too small for my Shimano Tekota trolling reels. I put some low profile casting reels on them but don't really want to keep them setup like this and really don't like the way the reels sit on the rod. They don't stay really secure.

Has anyone ever replaced the reel seat/handle on their road? Any recommendations on which reel seat/handle to go with?
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Here is what I have been doing. The newer line counters are different than the old reels. The way that they are made now does not allow the part that tightens up to sit down into the seat far enough. The metal piece is now one piece and all is the same level. In order for it to work you will have to lay the reel where it is going to tighten up and file some of the plastic away on the rod seat. You have to be careful because if you file too much, the handle can snap in two when you go to tighten it up. I havn't broken any yet but I know some who did. John
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

Thanks for the info, John. I was wondering if you could go the other way since the filing down seems to compromise the strength of the plastic, and file down the metal on the reel? Maybe have someone professionally cut it down for you. Not sure if it would work but it's one possibility. Kevin
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

John, thanks for the info. I'll give idea of filing down the plastic on the reel seat a try. I've already taken a grinder to the reel mounting metal to shorten it so that the bolt will fit through and I thought that was all I would need to do, but the metal reel mount is too wide as well! Figures. I thought before I tried to grind down the metal width I'd check in with people to see if there were any other solutions on there. I'll probably do a combo of machining the reel down and filing the reel seat. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Worst case here is I toast the reel seat which is probably OK...would really like to switch them out for something a bit bigger but will give this a go first.
Kevin McClure

Post by Kevin McClure »

Consigliere, Please let us know how it works out for you. I'm choosing a Penn 209LC right now but I would like to have other options open to me. Thanks. Kevin
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

Opening day pike/walleye on St. Lawrence river yesterday broke a rod. So I've changed my gameplan. Going to use the reel seat and handle from the broken rod and put my R action spoonplug rod blank onto that. The spoonplug rod comes apart quite easily by unscrewing the top part of the handle.

Think I just need to reem out a hole in the new handle and epoxy the spoonplug rod in place.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Been there and done that. You will find one that works. Did you break it on a fish? John
Consigliere

Post by Consigliere »

Luckily on a fish John but probably the smallest of the day. We had 5 guys out in the boat casting for northerns. Had them penned into a 5 ft slot and caught 42 from about 7 till 2. The school was made up of 3 to 6 lb fish.