Advance notice: Solar eclipse on Monday, 21 August 2017

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
NoMuskyJoe

Advance notice: Solar eclipse on Monday, 21 August 2017

Post by NoMuskyJoe »

Here's an advance notice about a solar eclipse that has not occurred in 99 years at the USA ! I'll look forward to seeing it I hope.

It is unique in that you will experience daylight with the moon completely blocking out the sunlight to create darkness and then sunlight being re-established... depending on what part of the USA you are in.

With it happening on a Monday and unless you are on a vacation day or just take the day off, it will be a very different experience to be out on the water fishing and calculating where the fish will be and when there is a "bite on" ! With the quick turn -around of daylight to darkness and then bright again (assuming the area you are in is not very cloudy and then it will be even more darker), the fish could typically react by moving from deep to shallow as it gets darker, but does anyone have an opinion if that could happen or the fish will still stay deep or maybe only move slightly shallower but not all the way toward shore ?

Here are some general information links if you are interested in what could happen:

How to Watch a Total Solar Eclipse on Monday, August 21, 2017 (first time since 1918):
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... h-science/

Because of the danger to your eyes, do not look at the solar eclipse with bare eyes or even with basic polarized sunglasses... you will need better polarized sunglasses that are created to view a solar eclipse, so here is another option:

How to view a solar eclipse on paper:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... gQ9QEIZTAA

If you have been out fishing during an eclipse, can you post a comment what happened and if you caught anything, where the fish shallow, deep or moving from the depths to shallow ? thanks for your help to give anyone that could be out fishing an idea what could happen or what to expect and try to adjust.

If you are out fishing during this solar eclipse, hope you have a nice time on the water and have a nice catch !
John Bales
JB2

Re: Advance notice: Solar eclipse on Monday, 21 August 2017

Post by John Bales »

Here is my opinion on that. If the fish notice it at all, it will be seen by them as just another light conditions change and they will move according to that. A local weather condition (cold front) could and would off-set any idea of any major fish movement because of it. I can tell you one thing. I will be on the water to notice it, if I even remember when it is going to happen. The Muskegon outing is next week. Heading up Sunday morning and will return home the next Sunday. Fishing a few days with the great Mr. Duplex. I would assume we will have some pretty frightening video shortly after our return. Might just get a shot of the moon doing its thing. John
NoMuskyJoe

Re: Advance notice: Solar eclipse on Monday, 21 August 2017

Post by NoMuskyJoe »

Hi John, thank you for your feedback and that you will be planning on being out of the water on the day of the eclipse and with Jim Duplex. I am sure many people will be looking forward to your photos and / or the video that you will post, especially to see what was caught... I know I will.

(I had a problem when I clicked on the link again after it was posted and it was not accessed, here it is again:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... h-science/

If you watched the eclipse pathway video on the above link, just want to make you aware that the main path will be to the south of IN & IL, through TN & KY.

So, I think you will still be able to view the eclipse but it may not be the same 100 % as if you were a little more south. Since the time frame of that day will involve the "new moon" vs the "full moon" that will have occurred two weeks earlier, the eclipse just adds to the lunar impact on that day.
It will be interesting to see how the fishing is and where related to the eclipse "darkness".