Chemical weed control

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
site admin
Site Admin

Chemical weed control

Post by site admin »

Here is a YouTube video. It's title is "Sonar and Big Bass". The "sonar" reference is the chemical "sonar" they use for weed control.
The video is 10 years old, but seems like no one has learned anything about the harmful effects of weed poisoning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO1RhnQ ... e=youtu.be
ltharley
100 series

Re: Chemical weed control

Post by ltharley »

Wow! Excellent post.

I totally agree about the influence of the major chemical companies. I was stationed at Ft McClellan, Alabama at the start of my Army career. McClellan was located near a Monsanto chemical plant (Anniston, AL) back in the day. Monsanto had caused poisoning of ground water there, and a federal law suit was filed. The court found in favor of the residents of Anniston and Mansonto was forced to pay millions to the people of Anniston. However, as part of the settlement Monsanto was held harmless to any claims of soldiers stationed at Ft McClellan. Since then many soldiers have come down with various illnesses, such as cancer, and the government has been very reluctant to acknowledge the connection to Monsanto. The VA just last year acknowledged the issues, but have yet to provide health care to the affected soldiers. The political influence is shameful. I thank my lucky stars that I was drinking bottled beer and not water while I was there.

I need to look at how I can take action to influence my state representatives to stop the use of chemical weapons on the fish population and I really need to support my brothers and sisters in their fight with the harm caused by Monsanto.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry.

Dennis
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Dennis, I live on a lake where in 2005 they decided that a total weed kill was needed and it was done, despite my argument. Before the spraying took place, my lake where I purchased a cottage because of the great bass fishing had five schools of big bass. The schools were so strong that many times, the whole school would follow a hooked bass trying to take the lure from it. After they did their thing, I went four years without catching an adult fish. They deny that there was any effect on the fish population. I can't prove it and how would they know. The bottom line is that no one really cares about the fish. I have been bitter ever since. I cringe when I see the guy out there spraying the weeds on my lake. I want to go to the access and beat the shit out of the guy. I actually bit my lip and went out with the guy one time and kept my mouth shut to try and understand their thinking. They actually believe that if the invasive weeds are not controlled , that the fish will not do well. This is a belief starting with the state and the word is spread to those belonging to the lake association. They believe everything that they are told. I have been working with a DNR guy who is on our side but has been with the DNR for over 30 years and cannot make waves. The whole thing is not good. And it is spreading everywhere in every state. Some states have seen the bad results that come from the after effects. Lake Kissimmi was one and lake Chikamauga was another. After the spraying in Florida, the whole fish population was killed . The fishing went to hell at Lake Chikamauga and the local communies felt the loss of revenue. Since then, look what happened to those lakes. They learned a lesson. Our state does not have much to draw fishermen from other states except the musky guys on Tippi and Webster. Our fishing was never great compared to some others but right now , the state is not supplying a population of fish for the fisherman to even purchase a fishing licence. It's a sad thing and it will get much worse. I know of several lakes that the weeds have been totally nuked and the fish populations used to be very good and now they are garbage. I would not walk across the street to fish any of them. I told our DNR that whoever decided that it was ok to spray chemicles in our lakes should be in prison. I am totally so pissed off that they are taking away from me the thing that I really love to do, and I can do nothing about it. John
D-wayne
200 series

Post by D-wayne »

I was at Alabama's Guntersville Lake in April 2017 for a fishing trip. The scenary was beautiful the people were friendly and the lake was .... dead.
Years of aquatic vegitation control has left a once legandary fishery a green soupy waterway where boaters can navigate the open lake.
The only vegitation that I could find is an invasive eel grass ( non broad leaf plant ) not the typical vegitation for holding fish.
I found it ironic how the area boasts the efforts to support the bald eagle and yet the feeding grounds of the protected species is openly poisoned.... duh
Coming from Canada I had just put up my icefishing gear when I gathered up my bass gear for the trip so when the temps hit the high 80s I really needed to cool off. One look at the green algie laiden water and it was clear that I perfered heat stroke over that quagemire of a lake.
I guess I am not nearly as intelligent as the folks who own the cottage mansions but I've always had a simple rule for healthy water ways and fisheries...
NO WEEDS = NO FISH
NO WEEDS = NO FILTERATION
NO WEEDS = NO DRINK

Dwayne
Remember to always practice Angling CPR
CATCH, PICTURE and RELEASE 8-)
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Dwayne, Not true at all. Some of the best fishing waters do not have as much as a blade of grass or a weed in it. Dark yellow green water color is what we look for and hope for. If you have studied the green book, you will note that Mr. Perry gave us all the water colors and rated them from good to bad. A dark yellow green is at the top. Obviously you are correct about the spraying of the weeds. I live on a lake that was loaded with good schools of big bass and with a total weed kill back in 2005 with the use of sonar, the schools of bass are no longer there and never did get any better. I fight this problem a lot. I have contacts in the DNR. I know who controls it and who doesn't. I see the results and can compare our fishing waters now from what they used to be. You see, I have been doing this for 45 years and still learning every day. You cannot change the fish's environment drastically and expect them to continue to live normal. I went to a lake just last week and in one basin of the lake it was completely wiped out and had no weedline at all. There were two places that had weeds . Right in front of the ramp where there are no cottages, and the other place was a large flat bar out in the middle of the lake. All areas with houses were totally void of weeds. I report what I see to a friend in the DNR. Nothing ever comes from it. I have been to many lake association meetings and the people are sold on the spraying. Bottom line is they do not care that a fish even lives in the water. They want clear water and no weeds. The worse thing that ever happened was the state gives out grants to pay for it. My license fees goes to pay for it. We will not win. Going fishing at this very moment. Good luck with your adventure of finding the holey grail . John
D-wayne
200 series

Post by D-wayne »

To all I must appolagies for my mis leading statetment.
No weeds = No fish is ment to discuss the lake as a whole. The vegitation is vital for enriching the water in so many ways. From O2 to providing shelter protection and food for almost all of the water way creatures. From there the distrabution of the O2 food and grown creatures goes through out the waters.
As noted many species feed at or near vegitation then go deep to rest while others feed on those who migrate to deeper waters after growing up in the vegitation areas.
Aquatic vegitation is the backbone of all healthy waters.
Hense.... No Weeds = No Fish
A big reason for saying this is to open up peoples minds with the value of water plants where they swim and play.

Hopefully this clarifies things
Remember to always practice Angling CPR
CATCH, PICTURE and RELEASE 8-)
spnplgrkenny

Post by spnplgrkenny »

My take on weeds.......I totally understand about weeds and oxygen and sanctuaries for holding bait fish and fish but personally I would rather spoonplug a lake that doesn't have a weed in it.
I know the weedy lakes once all the boats plow through them daily, causes nightmares for trollers because of all the floating vegetation scattered everywhere.
I will never forget Mr. Perry talking to two bass boys one day on lake Kissimmee and he handed them two of the small lesson booklets and handed them a 100 spoonplug, then proceeded to explain to them the basic guidelines. He gave them a brief overview about spoonplugging. Finally one of the men held the 100 spoonplug up and asked Mr. Perry, How do you keep the weeds of this lure and Mr. Perry shouted back right in their face "GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WEEDS". Mr.Perry then explained that we catch most of our fish with not a single blade of grass around for miles.
I know at least in Florida for example if a lake has 10ft. Of water or deeper, the sanctuary will be in the deeper water with the exception of the spawn, however if you have a lake that has a maximum depth of say 11ft. and the weeds grow to 9ft or so, then the weeds becomes the better sanctuary.
Chickamauga was my home lake for many years and close to Guntersville and Guntersville was always known for its big bass but personally I stayed away from it because the weeds grew all the way to the deltas.
I remember many years ago when Chickamauga was choked with weeds growing all the way up on the deltas, it was almost impossible to make a trolling pass without fouling.
I also understand and despise Sonar spraying, but I also understand that green water color or white Sandy water means very little light and gives me a far better chance to catch monster stringers, as a matter of fact, water color is one of my very first things I look for and good water color excites me and clear water depresses me.
Having told you my experiences and thoughts about that, I remember when the Tennessee river system started doing the mill foil spraying 30 years ago that many big bass clubs on Guntersville sued over the Sonar spraying and actually kept lake Guntersville full of weeds for several years.
Personally, I really appreciate all the fisherman that stay in the weeds, that way I can have the deep water structures pretty much to myself where when conditions are right, I can catch a hundred bass many days and never move the boat!!
Attachments
1489010161516-332829988.jpg
1489010161516-332829988.jpg (7.1 KiB) Viewed 1965 times