What happens when a pike swims off with your lure?

A place to post topics other than spoonplugging.
Jerry Borst
800 series

What happens when a pike swims off with your lure?

Post by Jerry Borst »

Saw this on another site and though, Didn't Granddad tell us the same thing but like everything we must "do a study"... http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/thunder ... -1.3054082
jwt
800 series

Re: What happens when a pike swims off with your lure?

Post by jwt »

but like everything we must "do a study"...
"We have a pretty good idea now, for pike at least, with crankbaits, what likely happens with the lure," he said. "And that is faster than people might think, that fish is able to get that hook out."

Pullen said the study shows anglers who want to release a fish are likely better off cutting the line on a deep hooked pike then trying to pull out the hook itself.

He said research shows pike are easily stressed by over-handling and prolonged air exposure.

Hadn't heard that about how fish shed the lure when the line breaks. Good information(knowledge is the key). Thanks Jerry.
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

This research guy must be a fricken genius. You mean that if you take a fish out of the water for prolonged periods of time, they might die? I have one that I thought of that I might write a book on. Do fish get thirsty? I have proof that fish living in Arizona drink more water than a fish in Indiana. I just love this forum. John
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

John, be interesting to hear your proof. Can/would you post it?