In need of a boat

Looking to BUY,SELL or TRADE any of your fishing equipment? Post it here.
Fran Myers
JB1

Re: In need of a boat

Post by Fran Myers »

Last year there were several days where we were on Lake St. Clair with 30-45 mph winds and 4-6 foot waves. It is a completely different thread as to the WHY, but I will say this...

Neither of us were in danger. We did get a little water in the boat, but not much.
There is much more to this story but I don't have time right now.

Fran
Fran Myers
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Consigliere wrote:You guys really like the Ranger tiller models. Out of curiosity how do they handle big waters? What kind of chop can you comfortably troll in? Have a 23ft CC Wellcraft for Lake Ontario and even it is too small sometimes.
If the majority of my fishing was done on big water I would get the 620t or the yar craft 20footer like geno. Iv fished out 680t the last 26 seasons so I'm a bit partial of the rangers but without dropping 20+ grand I don't think there's a better spoonpluging boat around.
I have fished the Great Lakes out of a 680t but just never felt very comfortable even on calm days.
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Everything Bink said as to the sea worthiness of the 680T Ranger.

I, too, have used a 680T for 27 seasons and the boat will handle just about any water that one would want to fish. However, common sense and good reasoning should always be foremost in your mind when fishing The Great Lakes or any really big open lakes where wind can be a problem.

Keeping an informed awareness of the weather and wave height for the day's fishing is paramount. Big wind on big water can be a disaster. (There are ocean going freighters that are sunk all over The Great Lakes).

The 680T can handle 4 to 5 foot waves, but one's seamanship must be first rate. Got to pay attention to what is going on.

A similar aluminum boat would be the Lund Pro Guide series.

If you have any questions about the 680T let me know.

TN Dave

PS: Keep in mind that the 680T is a deep v-hull boat. Great for larger lakes and larger rivers; it is not the best suited for small rivers or small, 500 or so acre lakes where a shallow draft boat is needed. A jon boat in the 14' to 16' with a 15 - 25 hp outboard would be the best bet.
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

We broke her in!! Boat is much faster then my old boat. 4 cylinder trolled great. Has a little less travel in the tiller arm so it took a little getting use to but otherwise she got the job done.
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.29 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (120.69 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.87 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
"Spoonpluging is a good way to catch all fish but not the best way to catch any fish
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Bink, Your a fricken animal!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice cat. It won't be long and the ice will be gone but this has been a really hard winter for all of us. It's easy to get depressed when your part of the world is iced up and you are stuck indoors and you watch the Bassmaster Classic and the fish are in pre spawn. You feel even worse that they are fishing and you are not. What kills me is I know of three spoonpluggers near Chattanooga that are sitting in their own house when I know that the bass boys are already catching giants out of their home waters. I just don't understand why you boys are not out there. What excuses are in order for not fishing when your waters are not covered with ice? Any comments Kenny, or Wayne or David? John
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

John
Leave those southern boys alone...we wouldn't want their vaginas to get cold!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Bales
JB2

Post by John Bales »

Bink, I love these boys from the south. Just never understood why they don't start fishing till the bass move back to the river channel. They miss so much of the learning of what fish do in the early part of the season and what it takes to catch them. It's a complete head shaker. And I don't mind ribbing them a little because I know they can take it. I learned a lot from Frank Hamill and will never forget some of the crap he gave me. It was worth it. John
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Consigliere wrote:You guys really like the Ranger tiller models. Out of curiosity how do they handle big waters? What kind of chop can you comfortably troll in? Have a 23ft CC Wellcraft for Lake Ontario and even it is too small sometimes.
Never did answer your question.

My experience is that the 680T is comfortable in 2 foot waves, easily to handle by myself. Once the waves/wind (and I am talking about real wave height, not imagined) get into the 3 foot range, and especially in the spring when contour trolling the shallows, it is best to have a buddy in the boat to help with landing a fish as the boat must be kept out of or off of the bank, rocks, shoals. Personal flotation devices are a must!

Now when waves rise to four feet, and four feet is when I can just see over the crest of the wave while at the bottom of the trough, the situation starts to get serious, can not make a mistake in boat handling or the boat can be swamped or capsized. When four footers arrive I am heading for the dock, it is not fun anymore.

Prudent judgement is always the first consideration. Again, depending upon the skill level and seamanship of the fisherman, one can fish in the bigger waves. Then there is always the consideration of motion sickness, and the risk of hypothermia should one fall over board.

The note above is fishing the open water of The Great Lakes or any big flatlander that is susceptible to high winds. Other bodies of water, such as the Tennessee River Reservoirs where there are bays and creeks that can be fished that are protected from the wind (depending upon the direction of the wind);one can fish under most any conditions. Might need to drive to a different launch site to have access to a protected bay or creek.

Some study of a good book on seamanship and boat handling is always good...for any body of water being fished.

TN Dave
Last edited by TN Dave on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

TN Dave - sage advice.
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

Consigliere,

I mentioned some books on boating and did not give any titles; here are a couple that I have found helpful.

(1)" Chapman Piloting and Seamanship"; standard by which all other such books are judged. Updated annually. Covers just about everything relating to boating.
Good reference book.
(2) Another book recommended by Charlie Able of the old Redwood Empire Spoonpluggers (California) is "Outboard Boaters Handbook", by David R. Getchell, Sr.
Getschell gives how to directions for modifying boats for camping and touring; but in the book there are some solid guidance for handling a small boat in big open waters.

There are many books available. Both of the above, and others, can be ordered from Amazon. Major booksellers have titles available also.

One of the best places to learn basic seamanship is to take the Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Course. Good class over about 6 weeks and upon successful completion the certificate (copy) can be used for a good discount on a boat insurance policy.

TN Dave
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Dave the CG Auxiliary course is excellent; I took it when I was in high school. Of course that was back in the days of square riggers and galleys :lol: An abridged version of Chapman's book was given as part of the class.
TN Dave
100 series

Post by TN Dave »

jwt wrote:Dave the CG Auxiliary course is excellent; I took it when I was in high school. Of course that was back in the days of square riggers and galleys :lol: An abridged version of Chapman's book was given as part of the class.
James,

Very funny. Before long you will be telling us that you helped Columbus navigate to the New World!!!

On a more serious note, another option for navigation classes is the United States Power Squadron, Along with the Coast Guard Auxillary, both organization teach some excellent classes.

Navigation classes are particularly helpful for those of us who fish navigable waterways regularly. Really, the classes are applicable to any water being fished, big or small.

TN Dave
jwt
800 series

Post by jwt »

Dave I think everyone on the water should have some knowledge of navigation and definitely know the rules of the road. I had sixteen weeks of navigation training in the USN. Everything... dead reckoning. set and drift, coastal piloting, celestial navigation, etc. One of my favorites. Our text was Dutton's Navigation and Piloting, but one instructor mentioned Bowditch's The American Practical Navigator so I bought one. Still have 'em both.
Bink
800 series

Post by Bink »

Sold mine yesterday... Hope to have another one by the end of the week. Found this one this morning but its a bit far.
http://stcloud.craigslist.org/boa/4421218243.html
ltharley
100 series

Post by ltharley »

Bink,

Did you purchase that one you posted the link to, cause it has been pulled from the listing?

I looked online and there might be another available. The phone area code was 715, so likely northern WI. Looked pretty nice. Garage stored 88' Ranger with 02' 60 Yamaha. Here is the link:

http://walleye.outdoorsfirst.com/classi ... sp?a=94660

You guys have me considering going this direction.

Dennis