Need info on boat and motor.

Looking to BUY,SELL or TRADE any of your fishing equipment? Post it here.
Billy boy

Need info on boat and motor.

Post by Billy boy »

Does anyone have anything good to say about a boat new or used plus any thoughts on a 15 hp Evenrude E-Tec 2stroke. I'm limited to 20 hp and don't know a thing about Honda 4 stroke. I thing Iam trying to cover all bases as far as the motor is concerned. Thanks for any comments. Billy boy
John Bales
JB2

Re: Need info on boat and motor.

Post by John Bales »

Billy, That 15hp evinrude will do you just fine. You put that on a 14 ft lowe big jon boat and it will make you a great starter boat. The 14 ft big jon is a stable boat and you can rig it with seats and stick a depth meter and an anchor and you are ready to get going. Easy to launch on and off the trailer and a good solid boat. It comes with a live well too. John
BV Rives

Post by BV Rives »

John B is right on,I used a 15hp evinrude around 30yrs ago on two diffrent boats on big wind blown Texas lakes. Bob
Fran Myers
JB1

Post by Fran Myers »

John Bales wrote: 14 ft big jon is a stable boat and you can rig it with seats and stick a depth meter and an anchor and you are ready to get going. Easy to launch on and off the trailer and a good solid boat. It comes with a live well too. John
Amen...
I do have my Ranger but I have a 14' Big Jon. And I LOVE it. I bought it as an experiment and I was very skeptical. Maneuverable, light, economical. If I had bought this boat first, my trolling would have progressed faster and I would been better, sooner.

I originally had a 9.8 HP motor. I sold it and I intend to put a 20 on it.

I had a Honda engine on my first boat. It a great motor. Quiet, sips gas. I'd get it with an electric start cause they can be a bit cold blooded. It'll always start but mine cranked a lot.

As an alternative I strongly suggest you consider Tohatsu or Nissan (same engine, different stickers). Denny Coulardot runs the shit out of them and has never had an issue. I had a 9.8 and It was great. The only reason I got the smaller engine was because I'm a big fat guy and I was concerned about weight. It is not an issue. The Tohatsu is nearly silent, sips gas, AND cheaper and lighter than the Honda.

I sold my motor because I was so impressed with the boat I wanted to take it on the Mississippi but while I have some very good areas within a couple miles of the ramp, my best spots are 12 to 14 miles away from a Ramp. I just didn't want to be that far away in a boat with that size motor.

If your buying new the larger boats and motors start at $12000 and can get over $25000. The new Jon boat, motor, trailer will be below $10,000. Buy used and you could get some really good deals. John Zaborny spends a lot of time on Craig's List buying and selling boats.

14' Lowe Big Jon is a GREAT boat. Not fancy but fun, functional, precise. I haven't gotten to use it much the last couple years but that is going to change.

Morning,
Fran Myers
Billy boy

Post by Billy boy »

Thank you John, BV,Fran. I just realized that the Etec and the 14 Lowe /Jon is the package I'm shooting for. I kinda had this package in mine and Fran was right I want the motor with electric start. Thanks again guy's. talk to you soon. Tight lines. Billy boy
indianabass
250 series

Post by indianabass »

just fyi...with regard to the Honda outboards, I do have a 30hp model that's carbureted and it is finicky at cold start. I have heard the fuel injected models don't have this issue.
Billy boy

Post by Billy boy »

Thanks for the info. I have narrowed it down to two. It's either the Evenrude 15E-Tech or the Honda 20 mph a start for both. I am limited to a maximum of a 20 hp because of the rules. So be it. The boat in the question I posed earlier will be a either a Lowe 14 or 16 ft or all welded in some other brand. Tight lines Indianabass, Billy boy