Walk on water

John Bales
800 series

Walk on water

Post by John Bales » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Went ice fishing twice so far. Fished a channel off of the main lake which is about 6 feet deep at the deepest. At the time, the main lakes were still not safe but its been so cold that the channel has about 6 inches of ice. Plenty safe. One day I had 38 bluegill and 13 crappies. It filled my 5 gal bucket to the top. I had bluegill up to nearly ten inches and crappie to 14 inches. A front went through and slowed things down. Three of us got 35 the last trip. It was 13 below this morning so I thought I might take a break. Pouring a few jigs, drilling a few holes has been making the winter go by faster. Believe it or not, depth and speed means a lot when ice fishing too. John

D-wayne
250 series

Re: Walk on water

Post by D-wayne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:20 am

You must have some nimble fingures to be able to clean those pan fish.
With my club hands I would end up with a big mess.

https://youtu.be/wtrJV0iqkDk
For those who enjoy fresh fish :shock:
Remember to always practice Angling CPR
CATCH, PICTURE and RELEASE 8-)

John Bales
800 series

Re: Walk on water

Post by John Bales » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 am

Had a lot of practice as a kid. Mom and Dad divorced when I was little. I stayed with dad and every summer I spent with my grandma at the lake. Dad would come up on weekends. I would spend the whole day fishing on my own, either from shore or in the boat, from daylight till dark. We ate what we caught and dad would make me help clean the fish. Back in those days, there were no fences between yards and I knew everyone in either direction. The smell of Dave Murry's pipe and the free food and friendship as I fished along that shoreline are memories I will always have. My first fish trolling a spoonplug came from that lake. A three pound bass on a 500 right on the tip of a shallow bar. I was 18 years young. Not long after that, my first school came on a hump out in the middle of the lake. Several 4-5 lb bass were taken from that spot that day. The next school came anchored on a finger and casting a 200. All about 3lbs. Guess what happened shortly after that. They came in and poisoned out the lake because the fishing was so bad. The lake was a dark yellow green and when there was no wind in the morning, you could write your name in the floating algae bloom. It was exactly the type of lake that Buck said we should look for.
I'll be 64 in May. What the hell happened? One thing about it, I wouldn't change a thing. My plans are to fish as much as possible , keep learning every day and enjoy the time I have left with my family and friends. John